Associate Professor of Outdoor Recreation Management
BS, 1993, U. of Wisconsin LaCrosse
MS, 1996, Colorado State University
PhD, 2002, Colorado State University
NRM 290 - Resource Management at High Latitudes
NRM 365 - Principles of Outdoor Recreation Management
NRM 465 - Outdoor Recreation Planning
NRM 665 - Advanced Outdoor Recreation
Dr. Fix's research interests include human dimensions of natural resource management, motivations for recreation participation, recreation planning frameworks, recreation research methods, natural resource based tourism, recreation economics, and nonmarket valuation.
Current research programs:
- Alaska Resident Statistics Program
- Visitor Preferences for Interpretation at Wrangell - St. Elias National Park
- Wildlife Viewing Management in Alaska
Examples of research support:
- "Alaska Resident Statistics Program", AK Dept of Transportation, USDA Forest Service, USDI National Park Service, Bureau of Land Management, $60,500, 2003 - present.
- "Visitor Preferences for Interpretation at Wrangell - St. Elias N.P.", USDI National Park Service, $10,000, 2004.
Examples of publications:
Fix, P.J., Manfredo, M.J., and Loomis, J.B. In Review. Assessing Validity of Elk and Deer License Sales Estimated by Contingent Valuation. Wildlife Society Bulletin.
Fix, P.J., Loomis, J.B., and Manfredo, M.J. 2002. Economic Considerations in Wildlife Viewing Planning. In Manfredo, M.J. (ed.) Wildlife: A Management Handbook, Corvallis, OR: Oregon State University Press.
Whittaker, D., Manfredo, M.J., Fix, P.J., Sinnot, R., Miller, S., & Vaske, J.J. 2001. Understanding Beliefs and Attitudes About an Urban Wildlife Hunt: Moose Hunting Near Anchorage Alaska. Wildlife Society Bulletin, 29(4), 1114-1124.
Fix, P., Loomis, J., and Eichhorn, R. 2000. Endogenously Chosen Costs and the Travel Cost Model: An Application to Mountain Biking at Moab, Utah. Applied Economics, 32, 1-5.
Fix, P., Pierce, C., Manfredo, M., and Sikorowski, L. 1998. Evaluating Hunter Preferences for Wildlife Program Funding. Human Dimensions of Wildlife, 3(3), 75.