Professor of Resource Policy & Management
B. A., 1975, University of North Carolina Greensboro
M. S. T., 1978, Antioch/New England Graduate School
Ph.D., 1998, University of British Columbia
NRM 647 - Local-Global Sustainability
NRM 694 - Adaptive Management
NRM 692 - The Resilience Seminar
NRM 697 - The Resilience & Adaptation Internship
- Resilience and adaptation of northern rural communities
- community-based resource stewardship, indigenous-agency co-management institutions
- local knowledge in ecological monitoring and assessment
- social networks and subsistence
- the science and practice of transdisciplinary research
Examples of research support:
- Modeling harvesting behavior to understand adaptation, mitigation, and transformation in northern subsistence systems. G.P. Kofinas (PI). National Science Foundation - Arctic Social Science Program. (2009-2012)
- Maps and Locals: An LTER integrated cross-site study of global change. Long Term Ecological Research (LTER) Program of the National Science Foundation (2008-on-going)
- The Study of Sharing Networks to Assess the Vulnerabilities of Local Communities to Oil and Gas Development Impacts in Arctic Alaska , Mineral Management Services US Department of Interior. G. Kofinas (PI) (2007-2010).
Examples of publications:
Kofinas, Gary P. , Chapin III, F. Stuart , BurnSilver, Shauna, Schmidt, Jennifer I. (g) , Fresco, Nancy L., Kielland, Knut , Martin, Stephanie, Springsteen, Anna, and Rupp, T. Scott (2010). Resilience of Athabascan subsistence systems to interior Alaska’s changing climate. Canadian Journal of Forest Research 40:1347-1359
Chapin III, F. S., G. P. Kofinas, and C. Folke, editors. 2009. Principles of Ecosystem Stewardship: Resilience-Based Natural Resource Management in a Changing World. Springer-Verlag, New York. ISBN: 978-0-387-73032-5 http://www.springer.com/environment/environmental+management/book/978-0-387-73032-5
Kofinas, G. P. 2009. Adaptive Co-management in Social-Ecological Governancein I. Chapin, F. Stuart, G. Kofinas, and C. Folke, editors. Principles of Natural Resource Stewardship: Resilience-Based Management in a Changing World , ). Springer-Verlag, New York. Pages 77-102.
Berman, Matt, and Gary Kofinas(2004)"Hunting for Models: Rational Choice and Grounded Approaches to Analyzing Climate Effects on Subsistence Hunting in an Arctic Community" Ecological Economics Vol. 49: 31-46.
Kofinas, Gary with Old Crow, Aklavik, Fort McPherson, and Arctic Village, (2002) Community Contributions to Ecological Monitoring: Knowledge Co-Production in the US-Canada Arctic Borderlands in Frontiers in Polar Social Science - Indigenous Observations of Environmental Change, editors I. Krupnik and D. Dyanna. ARCUS. 54-92.