Research Professor of Animal Genetics
PhD, 1989, Biology, Yale University
MS, 1986, Biology, Montana State University
BS, 1976, Forest Biology, State University of New York, College of Environmental Sciences & Forestry
- Population genetics
- Phylogenetics and taxonomy
- Wildlife and forest management
- Cattle genetics
Current research programs:
- Population genetics of wildlife species including polar bears, brown bears, wolves, bison, and marine mammals.
- Phylogenetics of mammals
- Application of science and management to endangered species, resource development and agriculture.
Examples of research support:
- Phylogenetics of polar bears, brown bears, and black bears. Alaska Deparment of Commerce, Community, and Economic Development
- Population genetics and taxonomy of wolves. Alaska Department of Fish and Game
- Population genetics of Steller sea lions and beluga whales. Alaska Department of Fish and Game
- Subspecies taxonomy and genetic variation of wood bison and plains bison. Alaska Department of Fish and Game
Examples of publications:
Cronin, M.A., M.M. McDonough, H.M. Huynh, and R.J. Baker. 2013. Genetic relationships of North American bears (Ursus) inferred from amplified fragment length polymorphisms and mitochondrial DNA sequences. Canadian Journal of Zoology 91:626-634.
Cronin, M.A., M.D. MacNeil, N. Vu, V. Leesburg, H. Blackburn, and J. Derr. 2013. Genetic variation and differentiation of extant bison subspecies and comparison with cattle breeds and subspecies. Journal of Heredity. 104:500-509.
Brannon, E.L., K. Collins, M.A. Cronin, L.L. Moulton, A.W. Maki, and K.R. Parker. 2012 Review of the Exxon Valdez oil spill effects on pink salmon in Prince William Sound, Alaska. Reviews in Fisheries Science 12:20-60.
Cronin, M.A., S.C. Amstrup, S. Talbot, K. Sage, and K.S. Amstrup. 2009. Genetic variation, relatedness, and effective population size of polar bears (Ursus maritimus) in the Beaufort Sea, Alaska. The Journal of Heredity 100:681-690.
MacNeil, M.D., M.A. Cronin, H.D. Blackburn, C.M. Richards, D. R. Lockwood, and L. J. Alexander. 2007. Genetic Relationships between feral cattle from Chirikof Island, Alaska and other breeds. Animal Genetics 38:193-197.
Cronin, M.A., R. Shideler, L. Waits, and R.J. Nelson. 2005. Genetic variation and relatedness in grizzly bears (Ursus arctos) in the Prudhoe Bay region and adjacent areas in northern Alaska. Ursus 16:70-84.
Cronin, M.A. and A.W. Maki. 2004. Assessment of the genetic toxicological impacts of the Exxon Valdez oil spill on pink salmon (Oncorhynchus gorbuscha) may be confounded by the influence of hatchery fish. Ecotoxicology 13:495-501. Cronin, M.A., H.A. Whitlaw, and W.B. Ballard. 2000. Northern Alaska oil fields and caribou. Wildlife Society Bulletin 28:919-922.