Institute of Marine Science
Fairbanks, AK 99775-7220
Fairbanks, AK 99775-7220
11:30-12:30 and by appoin
Texas A&M University
M.S., Marine Science
Texas A&M University 1987
Ph.D., Physical Oceanography
Publications2015. Experts Workshops to Comparatively Evaluate Coastal Currents and Ice Movement in the Northeastern Chukchi Sea; Barrow and Wainwright, Alaska, March 11-15, 2013. Ed. Johnson, M.A., H. Eicken, M. L. Druckenmiller and R. Glenn. :48pp. University of Alaska Fairbanks,
J. Barlow, P. Tyack, M. Johnson, R. Baird, G. Schorr, R. Andrews and N. Aguilar de Soto. 2013. Trackline and point detection probabilities for acoustic surveys of Cuvier's and Blainville's beaked whales Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 134:2486Đ2496.
J. D. Farrara, Y. Chao, Z. Li, X. Wang, X. Jin, H. Zhang, P. Li, Q. Vu, P. Q. Olsson, G. C. Schoch, M. Halverson, M. A. Moline, C. Ohlmann, M. Johnson, J. C. McWilliams and A. Francois. 2012. Colas, A data-assimilative ocean forecasting system for the Prince William sound and an evaluation of its performance during sound Predictions 2009 Continental Shelf Research. doi: 10.1016/j.csr.2012.11.008
M. Johnson, A.Proshutinsky, Y.Aksenov , A. Nguyen , R.Lindsay, C. Haas, J. Zhang, N.Diansky, R.Kwok, W.Maslowski, S.Hakkinen, I.Ashik and B. d. Cuevas. 2012. Evaluation of Arctic sea ice thickness simulated by AOMIP models J.Geophys. Res. 117 doi: 10.1029/2011JC007257
M. J. Halverson, J. C. Ohlmann, M. A. Johnson and W. S. Pegau. 2011. Disruption of a cyclonic eddy circulation by wind stress in Prince William Sound, Alaska Continental Shelf Research. doi: 10.1016/j.csr.2011.12.002
Wu, B., and M. Johnson . 2010. Distinct modes of winter Arctic sea ice motion and their associations with surface wind variability. Adv. Atmos. Sciences. 27(2):211-299.
Druckenmiller, M., H. Eicken, M. Johnson, D. Pringle, and C. Williams. 2009. Toward an integrated coastal sea-ice observatory: System components and a case study at Barrow, Alaska. Cold Regions Science and Technology. doi: doi:10.1016/j.coldregions.2008.12.003
Calder, J.A., A. Proshutinsky, E. Carmack, I. Ashik, H. Loeng, J. Key, M. McCammon, H. Melling, D. Perovich, H. Eicken, M. Johnson, I. Rigor. 2009. Community White Paper: An Integrated international approach to Arctic Ocean Observations for Society (A legacy of the International Polar Year).
M. L. Druckenmiller, H. Eicken, M. A. Johnson, D. J. Pringle and C. C. Williams. 2009. Toward an integrated coastal sea-ice observatory: System components and a case study at Barrow, Alaska Cold Regions Science and Technology. 56(3-Feb):61-72. doi: 10.1016/j.coldregions.2008.12.003 <Go to ISI>://WOS:000265993600001
Druckenmiller, M., H. Eicken, M. Johnson, D. Pringle, and C. Williams. 2009. Toward an integrated coastal sea-ice observatory: System components and a case study at Barrow, Alaska. Cold Regions Science and Technology,. doi: 10.1016/j.coldregions.2008.12.003
Polyakov, I., D. Walsh, I. Dmitrenko, R. Colony, J. Hutchings, L. Timokhov, M. Johnson and E. Carmack. 2003. A long term circulation and water mass monitoring program for the Arctic Ocean. EOS 84(30):284-285.
Polyakov, I.V. and M.A. Johnson. 2000. Arctic decadal and interdecadal variability. Geophys. Res. Lett. 27(24):4097-4100.
- Decadal climate variability of the Arctic system
- Trends and variability in Arctic sea-ice concentration and thickness
- Analysis of model results and observed data to validate and improve model performance
Current Research Projects
- Cook Inlet Circulation Studies
- Arctic Ocean Model Intercomparison (National Science Foundation) AOMIP is an international effort to identify systematic errors in Arctic Ocean models and to reduce uncertainties in model results and climate predictions. My current focus is using sea-ice concentration and thickness data to evaluate model performance.
- Seasonal Ice Zone Observing Network (National Science Foundation) SIZONet is an integrated observing system focusing on the western Arctic that is contributing substantially to broader pan-Arctic efforts involving researchers from different nations in the context of the International Polar Year (IPY) and beyond. We acquire data including sea ice thickness for use in this and many other research projects.
- Arctic Chair in Polar Marine Science, Naval Postgraduate School. Sponsored by the Office of Naval Research.2001—2002
- U.S. Dept. of Interior Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation, and Enforcement. Outer Continental Shelf Scientific Committee, 2009—present
- Associated Faculty, College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, University of Alaska Fairbanks. 2010—presentAssociated Faculty, College of Natural Sciences and Mathematics, University of Alaska Fairbanks. 2010—present