Field Research

Permits and Clearances

Field research may require a variety of permits or clearances.   Please review this spreadsheet for potential requirements and call EHSRM for support at 474-5487


Emergency Contacts

When out in the field (glaciers, wilderness, remote, etc.) an emergency contact list must be left with your department should an accident, injury or delay of return occur.   The person responsible for the list should be available 24/7.   


Emergency call numbers should be kept with the Sat phone or other method of communication as well as passed out to team members. 



Be sure to determine insurance coverage prior to departure, particularly for Medivac requirements.  Call EHSRM X6164 for questions.


Family and Friends

If you have family or friends accompanying you in the field you must fill out the family/friend accompaniment form. If your child under the age of 12 accompanies you, you must have a caretaker that is not a researcher, volunteer or other person participating in your research.



Be sure to fill out the volunteer form and determine if any additional insurance is needed by calling EHSRM 474-6164.


You will need waivers for any person that is under the age of 18 that will be working on your site. In addition, you and other researchers that direct the minor will need background checks and training call 474-6164.



  • Field Travel
    Field means travel to locations that have no adequate medical response where if a serious injury occurred the person would need to be medivac’d from the site or the drive was more than 1 hour to those services.


EHSRM has Sat Phones, bear fencing, bear spray for use.   Call 474-5413.



UAF understands when you are remote or out of sat phone range, it is difficult to report an accident/injury. Follow these guidelines for reporting.

  • As soon as your next contact is made with your department tell them about the accident/injury and have them, if possible, fill out the form and submit to EHSRM.
  • If there is a Medivac emergency or a death, please call your emergency contact immediately and have them notify EHSRM.
  • Reporting procedures are found here.
Back to Top