Room Codes, Types, & Assessment Guidelines

The following list identifies the various space types used throughout higher education.   The Postsecondary Education Facilities Inventory and Classification Manualspells out in even greater detail information about the different space types.

100 - Classroom Facilities

“This category aggregates classroom facilities as an institution-wide resource, even though these areas may fall under different levels of organizational control. The term “classroom” includes not only general purpose classrooms, but also lecture halls, recitation rooms, seminar rooms, and other rooms used primarily for scheduled non-laboratory instruction.” (Postsecondary Education Facilities Inventory and Classification Manual)

Classroom space (including lecture halls and seminar rooms) is assigned to the Registrar and is under the jurisdiction of that office. All scheduling of general classroom space is done through the Registrar, with the exception of non-academic activities, which is carried out through the Wood Center Scheduling Office.   Classrooms at the community campuses are under the jurisdiction of the individual campuses.

There are a limited number of dedicated classrooms assigned to individual units.   Dedicated classrooms are being phased out.

Also included in this category are classroom and lecture service rooms.


200 – Laboratory Facilities

“A laboratory is a facility characterized by special purpose equipment or a specific room configuration which ties instructional or research activities to a particular discipline or a closely related group of activities.” (Postsecondary Education Facilities Inventory and Classification Manual)

Class laboratory space is assigned to individual academic departments and set up with specialized equipment and/or special room configuration. Individual units hold regularly scheduled classes in these spaces that require a laboratory setting. Class laboratory space can be reallocated if the space is not being used regularly or appropriately. This category includes art studios, drafting rooms, and computer class laboratories as well.

Open laboratories provide space for individual or group instruction that is informally scheduled, unscheduled, or open. This category includes open computer laboratories that are used for a specific discipline or group of similar disciplines, such as the engineering computer lab in Duckering and music practice rooms.

Research/non-class laboratories are used primarily for laboratory experimentation, research or training in research methods; or professional research and observation; or structured creative activity within a specific program. This includes research computer labs.

Whenever possible, research/non-class laboratories will be assigned to regular full time and research faculty members. Individual research labs are not guaranteed for all faculty members; some faculty members may need to share research space, based upon funding levels and availability of space. Some units may also choose to provide shared laboratory spaces for its faculty, based on the type of research that is being done. All research laboratory space is subject to reassignment.

It is expected that, where appropriate, technicians will be assigned space within research laboratories. In some instances, code compliance may prevent the assignment of technicians to laboratory space. The Office of Codes and Safety will make that determination. Technicians who cannot be housed in laboratory space will be expected to share space in offices.

Faculty members who have been assigned research laboratory space are required to maintain those areas according to applicable safety codes and regulations. Failure to do so can result in research laboratories being closed down by the UAF Fire Marshal and/or reassignment of the space.


300 - Office Facilities

“Office facilities are individual, multi-person, or workstation space specifically assigned to academic, administrative, and service functions of a college or university.” (Postsecondary Education Facilities Inventory and Classification Manual)

Faculty offices:
All full time faculty members, including research faculty members, will be provided with private office space whenever possible. Every effort will be made to assign offices with windows to faculty members. Average square footage of faculty office space is dictated by the building design; however, the recommended minimum square footage is 100, with 120-135 preferred.

Faculty members with joint appointments (50% IAB, 50% biology, for example) will have one office space assigned in an appropriate location to be negotiated by the dean and director of the relevant units. No faculty member will be assigned two private offices.   However, a faculty member with a joint appointment may share space in the second unit if the space is available.

Units are not required to provide a department chair office. The department chair will be expected to carry out the chair duties from his/her regularly assigned office. Units that wish to provide a department chair office may do so, but any requests for additional office space will be considered only after the department chair office has been reassigned.

Adjunct faculty shall not be assigned private office space. If the unit has shared work areas available, that space may be assigned to adjunct faculty, although not at the expense of full time employees. If adjunct faculty members advise students, there will be a need for private space to carry out confidential discussions. The unit should identify private space and make it available as needed.

Emeritus faculty members may be assigned shared space within their unit; however, they must be actively engaged in teaching and/or research and be on campus for the majority of the year. Careful consideration must be given to the unit’s overall space needs and available space when making emeritus assignments.   Additional space will not be assigned to units where emeritus faculty members occupy private office space.

Research associates/post-doctoral fellows (no faculty rank) may be assigned private office space within the unit if they have active funding and space is available. However, if that space is required for a full time, tenure track faculty member or other full time staff, the research associate will be reassigned to a shared space. Research associates with no active funding will not be assigned space. They may use a shared work area, if it is available. New space will not be assigned to the unit to accommodate research associates if there is adequate shared space.

Visiting faculty members should be assigned space within existing departmental space and commensurate with faculty rank (see above).

Administrative and support staff offices:
Office space must be assigned in support of units to carry out their respective missions. It is expected that deans and directors will occupy private, full time offices; square footage is determined by the building and space availability. Full time administrative staff should be assigned space; however, that space is not necessarily private. For those positions that require confidentiality, private space must be provided using either designated office space or scheduled private meeting space, as needed.

Student offices:
Graduate students will be assigned work space whenever possible; however, that space must be shared. Priority is given to teaching and research assistants. Shared space may be in large open areas or smaller office spaces, depending upon availability. In open spaces, every effort will be made to provide adequate furnishings that minimize the open environment and maximize productivity, privacy and security.

Undergraduate students may be provided workspace within a department's assigned area. It is the responsibility of the department to determine the need and allocate space accordingly.

The Office Facilities category includes secretary/reception, public waiting, office service, private circulation, private lavatory, conference room, group office area, and conference service.

The following space categories, due to the specificity of the functions, are less frequently changed or reallocated.


400 – Study Facilities

“Study space is classified into five categories: study room, stack, open-stack study room, processing room, and study service. Offices used for library activities are coded as office facilities.” (Postsecondary Education Facilities Inventory and Classification Manual)

Most space in this category is assigned to the Library; although there are some departmental designations for areas such as study rooms and departmental libraries.


500 – Special Use Facilities

“This category includes several room use categories that are sufficiently specialized in their primary activity or function to merit a unique room code. Areas and rooms for military training, athletic activities, media production, clinical activities (outside of separately organized health care facilities) demonstration, agricultural field activities, and animal and plant shelters are included here. Although many of these special use facilities provide service to other areas, their special use or configuration dictates that these areas not be coded as service rooms.” (Postsecondary Education Facilities Inventory and Classification Manual)

Assignments in this category are made in many different units, as appropriate.


600 – General Use Facilities

“General use facilities are characterized by a broader availability to faculty, students, staff, or the public than are Special Use Facilities (500 series), which are typically limited to a small group or special population. General use facilities comprise a campus general service or functional support system (assembly, exhibition, dining, relaxation, merchandising, recreation, general meetings, day care) for the institutional and participant community populations.” (Postsecondary Education Facilities Inventory and Classification Manual)

Assignments in this category are made as appropriate.


700 – Support Facilities

“Support facilities, which provide centralized space for various auxiliary support systems and services of a campus, help keep all institutional programs and activities operational. . . Support facilities are centralized in that they typically serve an area ranging from an entire building or organizational unit to the entire campus. Included are centralized areas for computer-based data processing and telecommunications, shop services, general storage and supply, vehicle storage, central services (e.g. printing and duplicating, mail, shipping and receiving, environmental testing or monitoring, laundry, or food stores), and hazardous materials areas.” (Postsecondary Education Facilities Inventory and Classification Manual)


800 – Health Care Facilities

“This series provides use classifications for patient care rooms that are located in separately organized health care facilities: student infirmaries, teaching hospitals and clinics, and veterinary and medical schools. Room codes and definitions apply to both human and animal health care areas; excluded are clinic facilities located outside of separately organized health care facilities.” (Postsecondary Education Facilities Inventory and Classification Manual)


900 – Residential Facilities

“Residential facilities include housing for students, faculty, staff, and visitors to the institution.” (Postsecondary Education Facilities Inventory and Classification Manual)

Assignments in this category are all under the aegis of Student Services.



For additional information on room use codes and definitions, please see the National Center for Education Statistics web page at The complete “Postsecondary Education Facilities Inventory and Classification Manual” can be viewed at this site.

Back to Top