Academic and Grade Appeals
Academic Appeals are defined by Faculty Senate Policy as a formal complaint and procedure designed for students to seek review of academic decisions alleged to be arbitrary and capricious. These academic decisions may involve non-admission to or dismissal from any UAF program that were made by a department or program through the department chair, or involve pass/fail decisions by a committee of faculty on non-course examinations (such as qualifying, comprehensive or thesis examinations) or satisfactory/unsatisfactory evaluations on student reviews (such as the annual review of graduate student performance).
What you should know:
As a student your responsibility is to follow protocol before filing a formal complaint for an academic appeal:
- Academic Appeal Checklist
- Academic Appeal Form (this form must be completed and signed to begin a formal academic appeal. Please review the Checklist and process page).
- Faculty Senate Policy
- Provost's Office Contact: Jennifer Hoppough (907) 474-7096 email@example.com
Grade Appeals are defined by Faculty Senate Policy for students to seek review of final course grade alleged to be arbitrary and capricious.
What you should know:
- Grade Appeals Packet - Includes grade appeals form, check list, and Faculty Senate Policy.
- Updated Grade Appeal Form - Includes grade appeal forms (informal and formal), and check list.
- Faculty Senate Grade Policy - Information on updated Faculty Senate Grade Appeals Policy.
The University of Alaska Fairbanks is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer and educational institution. UAF does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, age, sex, physical or mental disability, status as a protected veteran, marital status, changes in marital status, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, parenthood, sexual orientation, gender identity, political affiliation or belief, genetic information, or other legally protected status. The University's commitment to nondiscrimination, including against sex discrimination, applies to students, employees, and applicants for admission and employment. Contact information, applicable laws, and complaint procedures are included on UA's statement of nondiscrimination available at www.alaska.edu/titleIXcompliance/nondiscrimination.