Getting Your Social Security Number

International Students:

1.  To apply for your social security number you must obtain an appointment with an advisor in International Programs & Initiatives. Before you make your appointment, please have a firm offer of employment letter in hand.  We will supply you with a letter from her that you must take to the Social Security office below along with a provided social security application, your passport, I-94 and I-20.

      Social Security Office
      Federal Building
      101 12th Ave
      Fairbanks, AK 99701
      To obtain your social security card application prior to your appointment with us:
      On Form SS-5, the section 3 box "Legal Alien Allowed to Work" should be marked.
   2. After your application is accepted by the Social Security Office, ask for a letter of receipt and a copy of the accepted application form. Bring the letter of receipt and the application copy to your department so that your payroll record can be activated.
Back to Top