D&EO...bringing diverse people together!
The Office of Diversity & Equal Opportunity leads a focused effort to build inclusive systems at UAF by
- ensuring compliance with civil rights laws;
- providing advice and direction to administration, faculty, staff, supervisors and students;
- and by institutionalizing processes to eradicate discrimination and build equity.
What are the outcomes of institutionalizing diversity?
- A welcoming environment for all
- A decline in conflict
- Well-defined diversity goals linked with university goals
- Healthy programs to integrate new faculty and staff members
- Diversity elements integrated into accountability systems
- Professional development to enhance diversity competency
- Outreach that brings the diversity of the community onto campus and makes UAF a cultural center
- Formal mentoring programs
- Exit interview information that is used to continually improve the campus and relationships
- Improved academic support for students
- Marketing that represents the face of the campus
- And more...
What does affirmative action offer you?
- Sound advice based in law
- Thoroughly analyzed demographic information
- A robust action plan focused on closing demographic gaps
- Metrics and measurable results rather than just a good faith effort to close the gaps
- Fair hiring and employment practices
- Outreach and active support of community service programs
- Collaborating for diversity events and observations
- An outreach and diversity report for recruitments
- Extensive outreach and hiring benchmarks for veterans
- Extensive outreach and hiring targets for people with disabilities
What does compliance mean for you?
- Your rights are protected
- You are informed about how to get assistance with issues
- Your workplace issues are resolved early, through mediation and collaboration
- If you have a disability, you will get the accommodations you need
- You will get professionally conducted investigations if you file a complaint
- Your complaints of discrimination will be processed in a timely way
- Your department and the university will continue to receive federal funding and grants