How to Apply
Admission Requirements for MA in NORS
In order to apply to the Northern Studies program, you must fulfill the following requirements:
- A bachelor's degree from an accredited university.
- A minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0 in your undergraduate studies.
- A minimum grade point average of 3.0 in your undergraduate major (exceptions are made for students with outstanding qualifications).
For more information please visit
Graduate students can live in university residence halls, apartments housing four students each, or family housing apartments. Check out Residence Life for more housing information.
Applying for admission
The Northern Studies program accepts students year-round. Complete UAF application, available on-line.
- Official undergraduate transcripts
- Three letters of recommendation.
- TOEFL score of 550 or more if your native language is not English.
- Statement of goals and objectives.
- GRE is not required unless your undergraduate gpa is below 3.0
- A writing sample
— please submit a sample of your strongest writing, such as a research paper you wrote during your senior year of undergraduate work
To be competitive, students should submit their complete applications no later than March 31 for acceptance for Fall. For spring, applications should be submitted no later than October 31. If the applicant is seeking a teaching assistantship, applications must be submitted by March 1 for Fall.
Tuition and fees UAF's tuition rates are among the lowest in the country for a doctorate-granting university. Non-residents may apply for resident tuition at the beginning of their second year if they have not left Alaska for more than 90 days during the year.
Teaching Assistant Positions
The Northern Studies Program has a small number of teaching assistant positions that pay the student's tuition and that require 15 hours per week of work assisting a professor in teaching a class. The student receives wages for this work, as well as health insurance. To be competitive for these positions, an applicant must apply by sending an email to Dr. Mary Ehrlander at firstname.lastname@example.org asking to be considered for a TA position no later than March 1 for the Fall Semester. The applicant must have applied to the program to apply for a teaching assistantship.