Graduate Music Student Admission/Audition Process Information
Graduate Music Student Admission-Audition Process
An applicant for fall semester admission to a graduate music program will submit applications to both the Graduate School AND the UAF Department of Music. Applications to the Department of Music will also include an unedited audition performance on DVD or other appropriate portfolio materials (see Graduate Admissions Guidelines link at www.uaf.edu/music).
All application materials must be postmarked no later than January 10th.
Your Department of Music application and materials will be forwarded to the Department Chair, who then forwards them for approval to the appropriate faculty member in the applicant’s performance or academic area. The applicant is accepted into a graduate music program upon meeting the requirements and standards of both the Graduate School and the Department of Music.
Your Graduate School application materials will be forwarded to the Department of Music directly by the Graduate School.
Upon acceptance into a graduate music program, the applicant’s materials will be forwarded to the Department of Music’s Graduate Committee for consideration of a possible Graduate Teaching Assistantship (TA) award. The Graduate Committee’s considerations for TA awards are based on the following criteria:
- Recommendation of faculty in the student’s performance or academic area
- Strength of performance in audition or strengths of other portfolio materials
- Undergraduate transcript and GPA
- Applicant’s strengths in view of the needs within the Department
- Availability of Teaching Assistantships
- Consideration of Teaching Assistantship awards in performance and academic areas
- Applicant’s status as an in-state or out-of-state student
The Graduate Committee will bring Teaching Assistantship award recommendations to the Department of Music faculty for review and approval. Students receiving offer of an award will be notified by letter sent no later than March 15th
Downloadable pdf of preceding information