Call for Community Submissions
Be a part of the museum’s upcoming special exhibit “RENEW: Fairbanks Cityscapes”. This special exhibit looks at Fairbanks and changes in the cityscape in recent years through the eyes of community planners, local artists and residents.
Share your photos that show how we live, work and play in Fairbanks, focusing on the urban environment. Images submitted by community members will be incorporated into a slide show in the special exhibit, which runs April 4 through May 10, 2009.
Images must meet the subject and technical requirements.
What: Photos of people in Fairbanks outside in urban or green spaces in all seasons. Examples include: people walking, biking, and relaxing; boating and skiing on the rivers in town; political rallies; the Fair, farmers market, and other community events; gardening; and people working outside in a variety of industries.
When: Statehood (1959) through today
Where: Greater Fairbanks area. Roughly from Fort Wainwright to Ester. Tanana River to the Goldstream Valley.
Don't miss this opportunity - Submit now!
Final deadline for submissions: Monday, May 4, 2009.
Images will be incorporated into the slide show weekly during the exhibit's six-week run.
Slides will be shown on a wide screen.
- Digital or digitized with a scanner (see note below on scanned images).
- Horizontal - landscape orientation; portrait images will NOT be used.
- 1200 pixels by 1920 pixels minimum size (typically, 1 MB)
- JPG format at the best quality available.
Name your image files before submission.
- Use your last name, first initial and a number (if submitting multiple images). For example, images submitted by John Smith would be smithj1.jpg, smithj2.jpg and so on.
By submitting your photos, you confirm that:
i. The photos you are your own work and you own the rights to distribute the image.
ii. You have the consent of those whose faces are identifiable in the image. If you are not the parent or legal guardian of children under 18 pictured in the image, you must have the consent of the parent or legal guardian of those children.
By submitting your photos, you authorize the University of Alaska Museum of the North to:
i. include the images in the special exhibit RENEW: Fairbanks Cityscapes (including physical installation, online presence and future exhibits derived from RENEW) and to use the images in advertising, marketing, reports and other publications related to the special exhibit and its derivatives;
ii. crop, color correct or otherwise manipulate the photograph;
iii. use your name as the creator of the image.
You maintain all other rights to your image.
While we hope to incorporate all images, images will be excluded if they:
- do not illustrate the "live, work, play" theme or depict the Fairbanks setting,
- are not appropriate for a family audience, or
- do not meet technical quality standards.
Photo submissions will not be paid. Users who submit photos before March 23 will be credited on a label in the exhibit area. A list of all users will be posted on the website.
Submit your photos
Tips on scanning images
- For a 35mm slides or negatives: scan at 2400dpi minimum.
- For 5x7 prints: use 300dpi minimum.
- For 3x5 prints: use 600dpi minimum.
- Always use the best quality when scanning and check that the material is flat and scanner focuses correctly and replicates the colors accurately. Be sure to check and clean for dust on the scanner or slide/negative/print.
For more information:
Contact the museum's Exhibition Department at 474-6951 or email@example.com.