This is our, and soon to be your
Challenging and educating our best and brightest toward becoming critical thinkers, problem solvers and global community leaders by setting examples of resilience and sustainability.
Becoming a global community of academic achievers.
Focused on Integrity, Inclusiveness, Collaboration, Insight, Leadership, Mentoring, Service, Innovation, Teamwork, Respect and Trust.
The Honors Program is, amongst many things, an academic philosophy and forum by and through which UAF students and faculty are provided the unique opportunity to explore, create and engage in educational practices outside traditional pedagogical boxes. The program embellishes the student's support base with:
- National and international academic internship opportunities,
- One-on-one advising,
- Priority registration,
- Small class instruction,
- Direct contact with visionary professors,
- An academic and social "home away from home" Honors House,
- Social and entrepreneurial engagement opportunities, and
- Launch into the market place and graduate education
The Honors Program is based on the conviction that genuine achievement in college means broad competence in areas inside and outside a student's major field of specialization and service. There is strong emphasis on cross- and inter-disciplinary studies both national and abroad. We encourage all to capitalize on our Alaskan and circumpolar experience: the Honors Program promotes personal growth, academic achievement, and participation in myriad intellectual and social communities.
Honors Student development is facilitated through:
- Challenging and Honors-specific, active learning courses with limited enrollment,
- Curricular choice supported by personalized Honors Program staff advising,
- Research, scholarships, internships, artistic engagement, international study, and service opportunity,
- Availability of study and recreational facilities,
- Encouragement to persevere and flourish,
- Participation in intellectual and social communities of student scholars.
To provide exceptional educational opportunities and support, the Honors Program works closely with departments, individual faculty members and staff to create and maintain Honors courses, advice and assessment for faculty who teach Honors courses. This includes information about a variety of non-classroom educational activities such as undergraduate research, study abroad, community service, off-campus internships, national and local scholarship competitions.
Please visit our Academics page to peruse the Program and Graduation Requirements.