Before applying to our program, you must be accepted to the University of Alaska Fairbanks.
Visit the UAF Admissions website for more information about becoming a student.
Our application process follows the UAF course registration schedule posted on the academic calendar.
- You must already be accepted and planning to attend the University of Alaska Fairbanks as a FULL TIME student.
- High School GPA of 3.6 or higher, and
- Combined SAT score of 1820 or higher, and/or
- Combined ACT score of 27 or higher, or
- Transferring college GPA of 3.5 or higher. Students with junior or senior class standing are eligible to apply for the Honors Thesis Scholar option.
- Fill out the Honors Program application in addition to UAF admission application. The link for the Honors application can be found below.
Applying to Honors
If you are applying to our program, you MUST FIRST BE ACCEPTED TO THE UNIVERSITY OF ALASKA FAIRBANKS. Next you must fill out the HONORS PROGRAM APPLICATION* which is SEPARATE FROM THE UAF ADMISSION APPLICATION.
If you have been pre-screened for admittance to the Honors Program, you must still fill out the online application. This lets us know that you would like to join our family.
The link to the Honors Program Application can be found above, on our "About Us" page, or by going to our "Forms" page. If you experience any problems with the online application make sure you are logged into your UA email account.**
*Our application process follows the UAF course registration schedule posted on the academic calendar.
**If you have not been issued a UA email account, do the following:
1. Attempt to access the Honors Program Application using your non-uaf email account.
2. Send us an email at email@example.com and we will respond to your email by sending you the application form.
Provisional Portfolio Acceptance
Each year a number of highly motivated students, both entering and continuing, who do not meet acceptance criteria, are admitted on a provisional basis by the Honors Faculty Advisory Council and the Program Director. If you are interested in becoming a member of UAF's Honors Program and believe that acceptance will benefit both you and the program, you have two options:
1. If you are or will be a new UAF student, successfully complete one semester of full time classes (12 cr. or more) with a GPA of 3.5 or higher to qualify for admittance. You will then need to re-apply to the Program for consideration.
2. You may apply to the program without improving your GPA or test scores by filling out the online Honors Program Application (w/ required essay) and:
a. You will submit a Provisional Portfolio (postmarked within two weeks of receiving an email from the Honors Program asking you to do so) with the following information to be considered:
i. Your academic resume. Include current cumulative GPA, school(s) attended, extracurricular activities, volunteer or service experience, leadership experience and all club/ organization affiliations. Please limit to two pages or less.
ii. Three references from current or recent teachers. Provide relevant and current contact information.
iii. A secondary essay explaining your current low test scores, GPA, etc. and why you think your UAF scholastic performance will rise and be maintained at Honors Program standards.
iv. A sample of your best academic work (ex. writing, art project, research project, etc.).
b. Send your provisional portfolio BY MAIL or HAND DELIVER to:
Dr. Gary A. Laursen
UAF Honors Program
Re: Provisional Portfolio
P.O. Box 756282
Fairbanks AK, 99775-6282
If you submit your Provisional Portfolio postmarked within the two week deadline of receiving the initial email from the Honors Program with all required documents, you will be notified by email of the decision made regarding your application.