ANNOUNCEMENT OF NEW TRAVEL GRANT OPPORTUNITY
The UAF Graduate School announces an opportunity for graduate students in good standing to apply by Friday, June 12, 2015 for grants to partially cover expenses for travel that will substantially further their education. These funds are provided by the Graduate School to enhance the graduate education experience of our students.
Guidelines are as follows:
Students enrolled in UAF Master's and Doctoral degree programs are eligible.
- Students must be in good academic standing (GPA > 3.0 and all Graduate School paperwork current and on file with the Graduate School).
- Travel must be to present a paper at a professional meeting or workshop, participate in an art or musical performance, attend a field school or short course, or undertake some critical collaboration that must be face-to-face. The trip should contribute directly to the student’s graduate education, research, and/or acquaintance with her/his broader professional community.
- Travel must begin between July 1, 2015 and October 31, 2015.
- Funds will be transferred to the student’s department when the application is approved so that they can be used to purchase tickets and/or pay registration fees prior to the trip. If the student does not use all of the money awarded, remaining funds are to be returned to the Graduate School.
- The amounts available will be as follows: $500 for travel within Alaska (exception: $1000 for field schools within Alaska) ; $1000 for trips to the rest of US and Canada; $2000 for international travel (except Canada).
- Applications are due at the Graduate School as soon as possible but no later than by close of business on Friday, June 12, 2015. Applications will be reviewed by committee as quickly as possible thereafter.
- Because funding is limited this year, we will likely have to restrict awards to a few applicants of exceptional merit.
- Some students have requested making the list of awardees public. The application form provides a place to check if you agree to be listed as an awardee if you are successful. Whether you agree or not will have no effect on the decision about your application.
Application Procedure (paperless)
Please read the entire set of instructions before proceeding to the electronic form.
Application procedure (paperless):
* Log into Google UA Apps with your UA credentials. You will not be able to access the form if you use your personal Google account.
- Fill out thisform . Note that there are two sections adapted from the normal NSF review procedure: Intellectual merit : What new things will you learn and/or what original results, concepts, or methodology will you contribute? Why are you especially qualified to take advantage of this opportunity? Broader impact s : How do you expect this trip to benefit your career and the work of colleagues with whom you will be interacting? What is the potential benefit to others in your program here at UAF?
- Attach an e-file of a flyer or other document/URL describing the meeting, performance event, or field school.
- Attach an e-file memo from your advisor endorsing your application and stating that you are making fully satisfactory progress towards your degree.
- Submit the application to the Graduate School. If you have questions, please call or email Juan Goula at 474-5960 or firstname.lastname@example.org .
This grant will likely be less than your actual expenses. The intent is to make it feasible for many students to travel, not to pay the entire cost for a few. You are responsible for obtaining the balance needed, which may include using your own funds.
The UAF Graduate School