International Volcanology Field School
UAF’s Department of Geology and Geophysics offers a two-week field class in volcanology in cooperation with the Institute of Volcanology and Seismology (IVS) and the Kamchatka State University (KSU) in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Russia. The course is offered every summer both in Katmai National Park, Alaska, site of the largest eruption on Earth of the 20th century and on Gorely and Mutnovsky Volcanoes, south of Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky. Students explore and discuss the full range of phenomena that constitutes volcanoes, using some of the best examples in the world. The course is co-taught at both the undergraduate and graduate level by John Eichelberger and Pavel Izbekov of UAF, as well as by guest scientists from Russia, the US, and Japan. Students come from across the US, Russia, and Japan, and occasionally from other countries.
Dates for 2013:
· Katmai -- June 9-22
· Kamchatka -- August 2-15
· Applications are accepted and reviewed on the continuous basis until all vacancies are filled.
NOTES ON FIELD SCHOOL COSTS AND REGISTRATION
1. The current tuition rates for GEOS 495 and GEOS 695 can be found on the UAF Summer Sessions website. In addition to the tuition, students are responsible for course fees.
2. The course fee for Katmai session is $1,870, which includes transportation from Anchorage to Katmai National Park, lodging, insurance, and most food during the field trip. Students are responsible for arranging their travel so as to arrive in Anchorage on June 9 and depart Anchorage for home on June 22.
3. The course fee for Kamchatka session is $1146 which includes transportation while in Kamchatka, lodging, insurance, and most food during the field trip. Students are responsible for arranging their travel so as to arrive in Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky, Russia by August 2 and depart Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky for home after August 15.
4. Applications are accepted and reviewed on the continuous basis until all vacancies are filled. We will make a decision within two weeks after receiving your application.
5. The registration of accepted students begins February 25 through Summer Sessions (http://www.uaf.edu/summer/registration/). Since travel arrangements require significant financial commitments from organizers, we request a non-refundable deposit of $500 to reserve a space. The remaining portion of the payment should be received by Summer Sessions no later than 2 weeks before the trip.