Designated Parking Areas
Parking is only allowed in areas posted as parking areas. Any area not specifically posted to allow parking will be considered a "No Parking" zone.
- "Decal Required" parking lots are restricted to vehicles displaying a current decal, MCU hanger or appropriate permit.
- South Eielson Lot (short term parking only):
- This lot is specifically provided for short-term, one (1) hour maximum, metered parking for faculty, staff, students, or visitors while conducting University business.
- This lot is not intended or designated for students attending class. Commuter student parking is provided in the Nenana, or Taku/Ballaine lots. The Nenana Express runs to the Eielson bus stop and the Taku Express runs to the Wood Center bus stop on a continuous cycle during scheduled hours.
- Faculty and staff who work in the campus core area are not permitted to park in the South Eielson lot while at their regularly assigned work location even if they pay the parking meter. Parking is limited to one hour per visit and is strictly enforced.
- Anyone using the South Eielson lot must pay the parking meter, Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., except University holidays. The vehicle must be relocated to a different parking lot when the maximum one (1) hour time limit is reached. Vehicles parked beyond the maximum limit, even though time may be remaining on the meter, are subject to citation.
- No Overnight Parking: Several non-residential lots, as posted, must be vacated between 2:00 a.m. and 4:00 a.m., Monday - Friday. Overnight parking is not permitted and vehicles are subject to citation and/or towing. An exception is granted for Wickersham Hall Residents who may request a permit for overnight parking only in the Haida Lot.
- A parking lot for visitors only is located directly east of the Signers' Hall building (Plaza Lot). Additional Visitor Only metered parking spaces are located throughout campus. Parking meters must be paid. A two hour parking limit is strictly enforced Monday through Friday, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. except University holidays. Visitors who require parking for longer periods of time can park in the Taku and Nenana visitor parking lots with a valid permit. Refer to the campus map for other visitor parking locations. Visitor vehicles must have a valid permit during working hours (M-F, 8-5p)
- Student, staff, faculty, or contractors are prohibited from parking in the Plaza visitor parking lot Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. except University holidays.
These combination areas can be utilized by visitors with a valid permit and anyone with a regular decal, MCU or Gold hanger. Meters, if any, must be paid during the times posted. Students, staff, faculty, and contractors must have the appropriate decal or permit to park at any campus location.
- There is no additional fee for handicapped parking (HCP); however, a parking decal, or permit is required, for students, staff, faculty, and contractors .
- Handicapped parking is provided in compliance with federal and state law for those who legally display Alaska Department of Administration, Division of Motor Vehicles disabled license plates or permits
- Temporary handicap permits of one month duration are available for individuals who become disabled for a short term to use HCP spaces on campus.
- Temporary handicap permits require written verification of the mobility disability from a physician for issuance and for each renewal requested.
- Assigned handicapped parking is provided in limited numbers for individuals with severe impairments or serious medical problems such that closest access to the facility is medically warranted. Spaces are reserved for specific individuals only. The license number of the authorized vehicle will be placed on the "Reserved for" sign in the space. For more information, please contact Parking Services.
Reserved parking spaces will be provided to departments only upon a demonstrated need that, in the judgment of Parking Services, overrides the need to provide equal access to parking for students, faculty and staff. The need of the University - not the convenience of the individual - is the criterion. Approved spaces will be identified with an official sign. Reserved space allocation is subject to annual review.
On-street parking is prohibited unless specifically posted. Where posted, on-street parking requires a UAF decal. The current campus map serves as a guide for locating on-street parking on campus.
Loading zones are strictly for loading and unloading only, and within the time limits posted, usually no more than 10 minutes. If, at any particular time, you need more time to unload a large number of items, contact Parking Services to make necessary arrangements.