Miscellaneous Cash Advances
A Miscellaneous Cash Advance is a purchasing tool for University of Alaska employees who require cash to make approved payments. Common examples research subject payments, field supplies where only cash is accepted (such as rural communities), ad hoc services by small local vendors, etc.
Miscellaneous Cash Advances may not be used for travel or payroll. Request a cash advance for travel expenses through UAF Travel on a travel authorization.
Request & Use
To Request an advance, submit to OFA the UAF Miscellaneous Cash Advance Form approved by the individual with expenditure authority. Requests over $2,500 require approval of the OFA Director or AVC for Financial Services.
For the purchase of goods using a cash advance, the vendor must provide itemized receipts including the vendor name and address.
Supporting documentation required when individuals provide a service to UAF (including research subject payments & honoraria payments):
- Description of service provided
- Amount received
- Signature (to indicate receipt of payment)
- W-9 form –or- date of birth, address, indicate if individual has / has not received over $300 this tax (calendar) year from the University of Alaska (including the current payment). The individual’s Social Security (tax ID) Number is required if they have received over $300 or if this payment is over $100.
It is the responsibility of the recipient of the cash advance to obtain the required documentation when the payment is made. If required documentation is not obtained for payments given, the recipient of the cash advance will personally repay that amount to the Miscellaneous Cash Advance General Ledger (103010-0259, no Org).
The following items need to be submitted as back up for the Miscellaneous Cash Advance to the Office of Finance and Accounting, Attention UAF Cash Manager Penny Bales.
- Original receipts
- Supporting documentation (must be legible)
- All back should be submitted to OFA within 60 days of completion of University of Alaska business (this will avoid the need for 60-day cost transfer memos).
- If submitted past 60 days and the funding source is restricted, a 60-day cost memo must be included.
- Deposit any unused funds at The Office of the Bursar. Use fund 103010-0259 (no org). Please reference recipient of the funds (UA ID and/or Last/First name) and cash advance check number (or direct deposit number).
Advances not reconciled within six months from the date of issue will be charged to the department’s fund 1.