MINUTES UAF FACULTY SENATE MEETING #75 MONDAY, NOVEMBER 3, 1997 WOOD CENTER BALLROOM
I The meeting was called to order by President Craven at 1:30 p.m. A. ROLL CALL MEMBERS PRESENT: MEMBERS ABSENT: Allen, J. Conti, E. Bandopadhyay, S. Finney, B. Barnhardt, C. Maginnis, T. Basham, C. Porter, D. Boone, R. (L. Duffy) Whalen, M. Bruder, J. Cooper, B. Corti, L. Craven, J. Curda, L. OTHERS PRESENT: Deal, S. Ducharme, J. Dinstel, R. Keating, J. Fitts, A. Layral, S. French, J. Wadlow, J. Gatterdam, R. Gavlak, R. Johnson, T.. Kramer, D. Lando, C. Lin, C. McBeath, G. (& C. Naske) Mortensen, B. Nance, K. Nielsen, H. Perkins, M. Robinson, T. Ruess, D. (S. Griggs) Schatz, M. Weber, J. Wilson, B. Yarie, J. NON-VOTING MEMBERS PRESENT: NON-VOTING MEMBERS ABSENT: Nuss, S. - President, ASUAF Long, P. - President, UAFSC Eichholz, M. - GSO Alexander, V. - Dean, SFOS Hedahl, G. - Dean, CLA Tremarello, A - University Registrar (Gayle Gregory) B. The minutes to Meeting #74 (October 13, 1997) were approved as distributed via e-mail with the following correction: Scott Deal, Roxie Dinstel and David Porter were in attendance at the October 13 meeting. C. The agenda was approved as distributed via e-mail. II Status of Chancellor's Office Actions A. Motions approved: 1. Motion to amend Section 1 (Article III: Membership) of the Bylaws. 2. Motion to amend Section 3 (Article V: Committees, Permanent) of the Bylaws. 3. Motion to accept the peer review units. B. Motions pending: III A. Comments from Chancellor Joan Wadlow - Chancellor Wadlow noted the amount of change going on around the country. All these changes seem appropriate for one of the changes we may be seeing at the University of Alaska. It includes a redesign of the system office and the establishment of service centers for some of the administrative functions. John & Madeline suggested that she summarize where we are on these developments. Wadlow's committee on the Redesign of the System Office and Campus Based Administrative Savings is officially finished. That is one of the three committees that the chancellors are chairing. Other committees will report on progress at next Board of Regents' meeting. Wadlow's committee issued its final report at noon. This was the third document. Preliminary documents were distributed several weeks ago. After input from the Board of Regents' Planning committee a revised version was released last week. It eliminated one of the more controversial components, a proposal for a research corporation and eliminated the committees proposed as managers of the service centers. Joint management by the chancellors was substituted. Hearing on that were held last week and Friday afternoon, and based on Regents' comments and public input the committee came up with its final report. The President will distribute his recommendations which are the combined recommendations of the President and the three chancellors. They will appear on the web soon. That set of recommendations will be presented this Friday to the Planning & Development Committee of the Board of Regents, chaired by Sharon Gagnon. It is the committee's expectation that the Board committee will adopt a motion with its recommendation which will go to the full Board for action the following week. What is coming out from the President with the support of the Chancellors is based heavily on the final report of the committee. The presidency continues to be strong and there is a much leaner system office. There is a President's Council which consists of the President and the three chancellors. The three chancellors are formally assigned responsibilities for specific and general system wide coordinating activities. The service center concept is recommended with more specifics than considered by the committee. Part of the recommendations provide for service centers that are each the responsibility of a specific chancellor or the vice- president of finance. The vice-presidents will report to the President's Council. The service centers that will be the responsibility of the UAF Chancellor will be University Libraries and a research service center. UAA's Chancellor will be responsible for the one called Information Technology and a service center which supports financial aid and enrollment services. The Distance Education service center would be the responsibility of the UAS Chancellor. The service centers that would be the responsibility of the Vice-President of Finance and Planning would be the finance service center and the human resource center. What has been attempted is evolutionary in nature. The Presidency is strengthen as is the role of the three chancellors with respect to coordinating activities for the whole system. There is greater accountability for the entire university. There will be fewer dollars spent on administrative functions. These dollars will be available for support of academic programs. The idea is to get more quality service, especially to the students. There are two things coming up at the Board of Regents' meeting. They have not had a great deal of discussion on campus. We have been requested by one member of the Board of Regents to present an update about the idea of a University of the Arctic. This is something that is floating around the circumpolar north among government, education, and professional societies. Another information item that will be presented is the idea of developing a joint UAF/TVC and School District proposal for the expansion and renovation of Hutchison Career Center. The school district is supportive of the idea and the Tanana Valley Campus Advisory Council has a resolution in support of a joint project. Claus Naske asked about the new Multicultural Affairs Office. Wadlow indicated that this was a recommendation from a joint campus/community committee which said that if UAF wanted to attract and retain students of color and international students we need to provide adequate support. The funds are coming from two sources. Start-up costs are coming from the one-time money made available from the Board of Regents' reallocation of annual maintenance money into non-maintenance programs including academic programs and academic support. The ongoing support will come from the funds that have been reallocated to support enrollment. John Bruder asked Wadlow to expand on the idea of the Distance Education service center under the UAS chancellor. Wadlow indicated that this was a concept of the committee and she could not elaborate. Once the Regents accept the committee's recommendations there will be an implementation plan prepared by the relevant parties. For example, each of the service centers will have a small advisory council. This was not a specific recommendation of the committee. Maynard Perkins asked about savings. Wadlow indicated that we will save money by having fewer people perform similar services. At the same time we expect to eliminate some of the current layers of administrative functions. B. Comments from Provost Jack Keating - The Systemwide Academic Council has been given a subcharge of looking at distance education. There is some overlap with Lind's committee which is looking at the role of the extended sites. They met jointly with his committee. The idea of a center for distance education is new to them. They have done an inventory of what practices are current and instrumentation that is available at the various sites though out the system. They will make recommendations to the Board of Regents at the February or March meeting. The second issue Keating spoke on was the headline in the paper about the School of Education losing its NCATE accreditation. They visited us and gave us a report card. They did very well in some areas of the program. They did not like several things including the lack of electronic use in the methodology course. We have tried to address that already. Other areas included a lack of a coherent conceptual framework behind the school, governance, and the schools relationship to its professional community. The state board has given UAF provisional approval for the certification of students. through July. Our students should not be adversely affected. Craven asked about the UALC. SAC plans to look at UALC. Currently the UALC reports through SAC to the President. C. Research Presentation, Jack Keating - Keating gave a presentation on UAF Research. Titled UAF Research: Making a Difference to the State! This overhead presentation has been given to the Board of Regents and the Legislature. Units were asked to give example of their research. Hundreds of research project on campus and off campus were submitted. Eight examples were chosen to demonstrate the good use of our organized research dollars and the effect we have on federal money by the organized research dollars. In general we were trying to impress the legislators that this money is important to us and is critical to our mission as a research university. ------------ Why does research make a difference? --Education-good faculty = good products = state brain power --Alaskan focus-we live in our labs so we solve our problems --University enhanced for students and the community-library, Poker Flat, supercomputer, Toolik Lake. Why is state funding needed? --to compete nationally --to attract and maintain faculty FY97 Organized Research General Fund Revenue Sources of external support state & local government $7,332 industry & foundations $15,192 federal government $39,760. Research Proposals - number submitted and amount funded. 513 proposals in FY89 - $20M 752 proposals in FY93 - $47M 1037 proposals in FY97 - $62M Economic return UAF offers programs or services in more than 113 communities statewide. Major UAF Research sites: Kodiak, Seward, Anchorage, Palmer, Dillingham, Bethel, Nome, Kotzebue, Juneau and Fairbanks. Examples include: Arctic Grayling Fish Passage, Institute of Northern Engineering, road system, culverts rather than bridges. $20-49K vs. $1M minimum; continuous savings for DOT; fish populations protected. Chester Creek, Anchorage. Institute of Arctic Biology- Mark Oswood, outstanding teacher of the year. Wildfire mapping, SALRM, remote sensing profile, leads to map of wildfire progression. Revegetation on North Slope-SALRM, $70M savings/BPs estimate; 20 years of study--baseline; tundra replacement off test growth plots. Salmon Shelf Life-Fisheries/Ocean (Kodiak FITC); 50% increase in shelf life by antioxidant treatment; 1966: 4 million lbs of salmon block; tenfold increased in 3 years; 6 million increase. The new International Arctic Research Center will be a world class research facility. The Japanese are very interested in doing research in the Arctic and wanted to form an international partnership. The Japanese are providing about 65 percent of the money for the building along with NSF and other tenants from Geological Survey. They are looking for international scientists to use the facility. The future: saves dollars for state and industry; 80:20 return on investment; path to new knowledge; student employment; future solutions to identified problems--beetles, intertie, disaster preparedness (ash and tsunami). It is very clear that we are the cultural center of this community. We are the intellectual center of this state. That means we are on the cutting edge of knowledge. IV Governance Reports A. ASUAF - S. Nuss ASUAF voted on another bi-weekly award and Channon Price from the Physics Department received the faculty award. ASUAF is supporting the University campaign. Athletics will give a booth at games for the distribution of cards and buttons. This is a grassroot support campaign. They are also looking at setting up a booth in the Bentley Mall during the Christmas season. ASUAF will send nine students to the Board of Regents' meeting where tuition increases will be discussed. B. Staff Council - P. Long No report was available. C. President's Comments - J. Craven John had a lengthy report attached to the agenda. Some committee reports came to the Administrative Committee in preparation for this meeting and were sent back to committee. We are waiting for an electronic copy of the policies before completing the extensive recommendations as an edited version. When committees are asked to review an item, it is important that the review provide supporting information and specific recommendations. This is the time we can make positive contributions. D. President-Elect's Comments - M. Schatz The Faculty Alliance met with the President for a workshop in Anchorage. It seemed like a positive interact between faculty governance and administration. We got some very frank and honest answers from the administration. All in attendance seemed to be going towards the same goals. What we have now is a faculty governance group and an administration willing to working together. The main topic that kept coming up under each subject was communication and how we can better communicate. The administration heard us and seemed willing to work with us. Madeline included a report in the agenda. Keating indicated that nine Faculty Alliance members met with the President and some of his staff. They talked about a variety of items including faculty development. One key item was the RIP and RIP replacement. About two months ago the President appointed a committee that consisted of the two union leaders, John Craven representing the Faculty Alliance, and the three Provost's to look at input about the RIP and its processes. The committee held two open hearing. There was some input and everyone was in agreement that they wanted the RIP to be non-selective, that savings need only be minimal. The RIP will proceed as in past. The window of opportunity for signing a waiver ends this Friday. Last year 40% of the savings was given back. It was anticipated that 60% of the savings were needed to pay this year's bills. This is a management tool and positions are not guaranteed to be returned to units. Requests for positions need to be creative. Anchorage did not seem to have a visible process. This generated a lot of dissatisfaction. Talks with the Alliance were about some kind of discussion at the departmental level to feed up to deans and forward to the administration. Keating indicated his preference to keep our savings on this campus. Last year there were very uneven presentations for positions. Faculty who are eligible should have received a letter. If you think you are eligible and have not seen a letter talk with your dean. V Public Comments/Questions - none During the break Maynard Perkins was honored for his award of the CASE Professor of the Year. VI Old Business A. Motion to amend the Article VI of the Constitution, submitted by Administrative Committee This was the second reading of the motion. There were no objections to the motion. The motion passed. MOTION ======= The UAF Faculty Senate moves to amend Article VI of the Constitution as follows: (( )) = Deletion CAPS = Addition ARTICLE VI - Relation to the University of Alaska Fairbanks ((Assembly and the University of Alaska General Assembly)) GOVERNANCE COORDINATING COMMITTEE AND THE UNIVERSITY OF ALASKA SYSTEM GOVERNANCE. Sect. 1 THE UAF FACULTY SENATE PRESIDENT AND PRESIDENT- ELECT ((Senate members)) shall represent the faculty on the University of Alaska Fairbanks GOVERNANCE COORDINATING COMMITTEE ((Assembly and the University of Alaska General Assembly)). Sect. 2 The UAF FACULTY SENATE President, ((and)) President- Elect, AND ONE OTHER DESIGNEE APPOINTED BY THE SENATE PRESIDENT SHALL ((will)) represent the Senate on the University of Alaska FACULTY ALLIANCE ((General Assembly)) and one will serve on the SYSTEM GOVERNANCE COUNCIL ((Executive Committee of the General Assembly)). EFFECTIVE: Immediately RATIONALE: Changes in the structure and name of the UAF Governance Coordinating Committee and to the UA System Governance bodies necessitate a change in the UAF Faculty Senate Constitution to bring it up to date. *************** VII New Business No new business was identified. VIII Committee Reports A. Curricular Affairs - G. McBeath A report was attached to the agenda. There was some discussion of the returned recommendations from the committee on the Student Affairs Policies. John Craven indicated that they were waiting for an electronic copy of the policies so that the committees recommendations could be incorporated. He also stated that the committee needed to formulate their recommendations and comments into a motion. B. Faculty & Scholarly Affairs - R. Gavlak A report was attached to the agenda. C. Graduate & Professional Curricular Affairs - M. Whalen A report was attached to the agenda. D. Core Review - J. Brown A report was attached to the agenda. E. Curriculum Review - J. French The committee met on Oct. 28th and approved three trial courses. F. Developmental Studies - J. Weber A report was attached to the agenda. Maynard asked if Developmental Studies had any recommendation on the Service Centers. Jane Weber indicated they have not addressed the Service Centers. G. Faculty Appeals & Oversight - J. Kelley A report was attached to the agenda. H. Faculty Development, Assessment & Improvement - D. Porter No report was available. I. Graduate School Advisory Committee - S. Henrichs No report was available. J. Legislative & Fiscal Affairs - S. Deal A report was attached to the agenda. Scott indicated they had a very productive meeting with Representative Tom Brice. Discussion centered on the budget from the legislature. His recommendation and also the recommendation received from other community leaders in Fairbanks is to keep up a steady amount of pressure on the legislature. With this in mind the committee has been formulating ideas to get professors out into communities. This includes lining up speaking engagements. The committee generated a letter and a petition which was sent to the Governor's office. K. Service Committee - K. Nance Kara Nance indicated their were in the process of reviewing video of what service is done for the state and communities. University Relations is putting the video together. The Outreach Committee is chaired by Hollis Hall and the video will includes all units of UAF. L. University-wide Promotion & Tenure - H. Sankaran A report was attached to the agenda. K. Ad Hoc Committees Ron Gatterdam will convene a meeting of the Ad Hoc Senate/Union Relations Committee. Madeline Schatz will have recommendations from her Ad Hoc Committee on Approval of Instructors. A third Ad Hoc Committee on Outcomes Assessment may be formed to look at out of class learning. Dana Thomas has recommended that the Senate be in charge of the outcomes assessment effort for out of class learning. John Craven proposed that the Administrative Committee begin by formulating ideas and go to ASUAF for representative examples. Larry Duffy asked if this wasn't an administrative function. Maynard indicated that it was being addressed for the distance delivery committee. It is very important as each of the campuses start having more students taking courses through distance delivery. As students come to the department with courses and experience outside of that department it is necessary to ascertain whether they have particular skills. Linda Curda asked for clarification of out of class learning and how the student service groups fit in. Madeline indicated that they were to look at things that happen outside of the classroom that add to learning at the university. John Craven gave some examples: study groups, invited speakers, internships, undergraduate research, student employment. IX Discussion Items A. Faculty Contribution to the Planning for Recovery from RIP II: The Sequel to RIP I - J. Craven John Craven indicated that the charge to the Senate was to discuss this topic with their faculty. He asked if faculty wish to use the process from last year or are there any recommendations for change. Kara Nance suggest that we take a good model from last year and come up with a uniform request form. It will make it much easier to compare similar requests. Linda Curda expressed concern about the effects of RIP. She asked how many and where positions were filled. John indicated that not all the positions were filled, many are still in the process of hiring. Gorden Hedahl indicated that the decisions were made by the Chancellor and Provost based on recommendations received from the colleges. Madeline indicated that there were bad feelings between faculty members because of what was chosen. The decision process was from faculty to deans and then on to the Chancellor. If your program lost out at the dean level it did not go forward. Larry Duffy spoke about the start up costs of a new hire. This is over and above the salary needs for a new hire. Jerry McBeath indicated that there was no opportunity for general faculty comment on areas outside of their department. Clif Lando indicated that the emphasis last year was on cooperative ventures, split appointments, and so on. This tended to denigrate of the disciplines. There was no faculty participation past the dean level. John Craven thought that the Senate's goal should be to communicate the feelings of the Senate to the Provost. He will summarize the discussion and ask Madeline to review it so that there will be a record of this discussion. We will continue to address this issue at the next meeting. Ron Gatterdam felt that a committee needs to come forward at the next Senate meeting with a motion on how the Senate and faculty should be involved. Hans Nielson spoke about the outsourcing of faculty and the use of adjunct faculty to replace lost faculty positions. Tom Robinson again asked about limited participation by faculty to participate in the RIP. Currently there is no limits on who can RIP. Clif Lando asked that the Administrative committee draft a resolution to bring to the Senate at the December meeting. Linda Curda and Madeline both spoke about the need to plan so that programs are not lost because faculty choose to RIP. John Craven indicated that the Provost would like faculty to become more sensitive to ways in which campuses can work together. There was some suggestion at the Alliance meeting about the pool be statewide. This was not a UAF agenda. Burns Cooper expressed his concerned about UALC and teaching by distance delivery. He is worried that someone in statewide will see this as a money saving method of teaching. Maynard indicated it would always be a matter of how well we meet the needs of the students. X Members' Comments/Questions XI Adjournment The meeting was adjourned at 4:20 p.m. Tapes of this Faculty Senate meeting are in the Governance Office, 312 Signers' Hall if anyone wishes to listen to the complete tapes. Submitted by Sheri Layral, Faculty Senate Secretary.