News and Events
New Books and Works Published by UAF Faculty
- Chris Coffman, Associate Professor of English, recently published two new articles "Queering Zizek" in Postmodern Culture and The Sinthomosexual's Failed Challenge to (Hetero)sexual Difference" in Culture, Theory, and Critique. She has been recently elected Secretary of the International Comparative Literature Associations Gender Studies Committee.
- Jennifer Schell, Assistant Professor of English, has a new book through the University of Massachusetts Press, entitled A Bold and Hardy Race of Men: The Lives and Literature of American Whalemen, focusing on masculinity in American whaling literature.
- Sean (Donald) Hill, Visiting Assistant Professor of Creative Writing, has published a short story fiction "They Drove" New England Review (Digital), Summer 2013, and poetry "Above It All" in Water-Stone Review and "Postcard to Anna" in Poecology, 2012.
Recent PublicationsShort fiction“They Drove” New England Review (Digital), Summer 2013Poems“Still Life with Starlings and Man” The Harvard Review, issue 44, Summer 2013.“Postcard to the Bottoms of My Shoes” Mantis, issue 11, Spring 2013.“Conundrum at the Artist Colony” Copper Nickel, issue 18, Fall 2012.“Postcard to Listlessness” Copper Nickel, issue 18, Fall 2012.“Vacation” Copper Nickel, issue 18, Fall 2012.“Spring in Bemidji” Crab Orchard Review, Vol. 17, No. 2, Summer/Fall 2012.“Above It All” Water~Stone Review, Vol. 1, Fall 2012.“Postcard to Anna” Poecology, issue 2, 2012. http://poecology.org/issue-2/sean-hill/Information about poetry collections:Blood Ties & Brown Liquor can be found at www.seanhillpoetry.comDangerous Goods can be pre-ordered at:and
- Daryl Farmer, Assistant Professor of English, has a new short story published in the Summer 2013 issue of The Whitefish Review titled "Where We Land" and his book Bicycling beyond the Divide was release in paperback in December, 2012.
- Gerri Brightwell, Associate Professor of Creative Writing, has a new publication: her short story "North" has just been published in Conte (Vol 9 issue 1). Upcoming publications include her short stories "Sunk" (Redivider fall, 2013), "His Good Fortune" (Fiction Southwest, fall 2013), "Lagniappe" (Los Angeles Review, November 2013), and "Beast" (Gargoyle, summer 2014).
Derick Burleson, Associate Professor of English, has recently had two books of poems published:
Midnight Sun Visiting Writers Series will return in Febuary 2014
The Midnight Sun Visiting Writers Series will return on Febuary 7, 2014 with a reading by Camille T. Dungy.
2013-14 Writing Contests
UAF English Dept. "Writing Contests" for 2013-14 are now open.
This year we will have the following contests available for undergraduate and graduate students. Please check the requirements for each contest which can be found on the flyers located on the main door of the English Dept., 8th Floor of the Gruening Building.
The Minnie E. Wells Award for Literary Criticism - $200 Award
Northern Lights Essay Contest - Undergraduate Division - $100 Award
Northern Lights Essay Contest - Graduate Division - $100 Award
The Harold McCracken Endowment Poetry Contest - $100 Award
The E.L. Bartlett Prize for Literary Criticism - $100 Award
The Farthest North Fiction Contest - $100 Award
Good Luck to you all.
Thank you to all the donors for Dead Writers!!!!
The English Department at the University of Alaska Fairbanks wishes to thank all the donors for this year's "Dead Writer's Reading and Raffle" held Saturday November 2nd from 7-10 pm at the BLUE LOON.
The dead writers came out in force and looked and sounded pretty darn good for being dead. A good time was had by all and we wish to say "Thank You" to the following sponsers:
Chena Hot Springs Resort, Tolovana Hot Springs, Barnes & Noble Booksellers, Gulliver's Books, Lemongrass Thai Cuisine, Co-Op Market Grocery & Deli, Lulu's Bagels, A Desert Passage Jewelry, UAF Outdoor Adventures, Fairbanks Shakespeare Theatre, The Prospector, Subline Line Tattoo Studio, Literacy Council of Alaska, Oasis Restarant and Lounge, The Cookie Jar, Hot LIcks Homemade Ice Cream, Tribal Wallah Belly Dancers, The Toy Quest, Turbo Tans, Northern Vines, Soul Star Arts, The Comic Shop, Wooley Bean, and Shogun Steakhouse.
A special thanks to: Caitlin Woolley, Natalie Taylor and Kendell Newman Sadiik who contributed home baked goods.