News and Events
New Books and Works Published by UAF Faculty
- Chris Coffman, Associate Professor of English, recently published an article entitled "The Migrating Look: Visual Economies of Queer Desire in The Book of Salt" in Texas Studies in Literature and Language 56.2 (Summer 2014). Her new article on Gertrude Stein's The Autobiography of Alice B. Toklas is forthcoming in the winter 2014 issue of Arizona Quarterly. She has been recently elected Secretary of the International Comparative Literature Associations Gender Studies Committee.
- Jennifer Schell, Assistant Professor of English, has a new book through the University of Massachusetts Press, entitled A Bold and Hardy Race of Men: The Lives and Literature of American Whalemen, focusing on masculinity in American whaling literature.
- Sean (Donald) Hill, Visiting Assistant Professor of Creative Writing, has published a short story fiction "They Drove" New England Review (Digital), Summer 2013, and poetry "Above It All" in Water-Stone Review and "Postcard to Anna" in Poecology, 2012.
Recent PublicationsShort fiction“They Drove” New England Review (Digital), Summer 2013Poems“Still Life with Starlings and Man” The Harvard Review, issue 44, Summer 2013.“Postcard to the Bottoms of My Shoes” Mantis, issue 11, Spring 2013.“Conundrum at the Artist Colony” Copper Nickel, issue 18, Fall 2012.“Postcard to Listlessness” Copper Nickel, issue 18, Fall 2012.“Vacation” Copper Nickel, issue 18, Fall 2012.“Spring in Bemidji” Crab Orchard Review, Vol. 17, No. 2, Summer/Fall 2012.“Above It All” Water~Stone Review, Vol. 1, Fall 2012.“Postcard to Anna” Poecology, issue 2, 2012.Information about poetry collections:Blood Ties & Brown Liquor can be found at www.seanhillpoetry.comDangerous Goods can be pre-ordered at:and
- Daryl Farmer, Assistant Professor of English, has a new short story published in the Summer 2013 issue of The Whitefish Review titled "Where We Land" and his book Bicycling beyond the Divide was release in paperback in December, 2012.
- Gerri Brightwell, Associate Professor of Creative Writing, has a new publication: her short story "North" has just been published in Conte (Vol 9 issue 1). Upcoming publications include her short stories "Sunk" (Redivider fall, 2013), "His Good Fortune" (Fiction Southwest, fall 2013), "Lagniappe" (Los Angeles Review, November 2013), and "Beast" (Gargoyle, summer 2014).
Derick Burleson, Associate Professor of English, has recently had two books of poems published:
Midnight Sun Visiting Writers Series has returned!
Adrianne Harum November 7, 2014
This year the Midnight Sun Visiting Writers series is proud to be bring to UAF writers from both inside and outside of Alaska.
Upcoming guest include:.
November 7: Adrianne Harun.
Adrianne Harun is the author of a story collection, The King of Limbo (Houghton Mifflin Mariner), a Sewanee Writers’ Series selection and a Washington State Book Award finalist, and a novel, A Man Came Out of a Door in the Mountain (Penguin). Her stories have won awards from Story magazine and the Chicago Tribune and been listed as notable in both Best American Short Stories and Best American Mystery Stories. The recipient of numerous grants, most recently Adrianne was awarded a 2015 fellowship from the Civitella Ranieri Foundation in Umbria, Italy. Adrianne teaches at the Rainier Writing Workshop, an MFA program at Pacific Lutheran University, and at the Sewanee School of Letters at Sewanee, the University of the South. She lives in Port Townsend, Washington.
2014-15 Writing Contest now open.
Use your words to win cash.
Information on the writing contest is available by the front door of the English Dept. or visit Julia in Gruening 850, 8a-3p M-F.