Course Requirements (45 Credits) (See course descriptions): Complete a minimum of 45 approved credits at the 600 level, except as noted under electives, distributed as follows:
- Comply with UAF degree requirements.
- Pass a written comprehensive examination, based on a standardized reading list; examination to be taken no later than student's fourth semester of work. Examination will be held on the Saturday ending the fourth full week of classes.
- Pass an oral defense of thesis (Students may advance to candidacy when their advisory committee deems that they have made satisfactory progress in both academic and writing areas.).
- Required courses (15 credits)
ENGL 671: Writer's Workshop (9 Credits)
ENGL 601: Bibliography, Methods, and Criticism (3 Credits)
ENGL 685: Teaching College Composition (for Teaching Assistants, or if planning to teach) (3 Credits)
Extra 600-level course if student does not take ENGL 685
- Two of the forms courses (6 credits)
ENGL 681: Forms of Poetry
ENGL 682: Forms of Fiction
ENGL 684: Forms of Non-Fiction Prose
ENGL 688: Writing for Film and Television
- Literature Seminars (12 credits)
Minimum of four; to be determined by student's advisory committee: ENGL603,604,606,607,608,609,611,612,614,615,620,692. Descriptions of these courses can be found in the University of Alaska Fairbanks catalog.
Note: The English Department requires that a student receive a grade of "A" or "B" for all 600-level courses that the student wishes to apply toward this degree program.
- Electives (6 credits)
To be approved by student's advisory committee
- Thesis (6 credits)
ENGL 699: Thesis