When a student is alleged to have violated the Student Code of Conduct, and the alleged behavior indicates that the student may pose a threat to him/herself, to others, or to property, an interim restriction may be implemented. An interim restriction may prevent a student from accessing specific areas of the campus, attending one or more classes in person or online, or restrict access from all university property and UA events. These determinations would be made on a case-by-case basis depending on the facts available and may be changed throughout the student conduct process as new information becomes available.
1. Once the alleged violation is reported, the Dean of Students Office determines whether an interim restriction is appropriate. If an interim restriction will be imposed, the accused student is notified of the alleged violation and the interim restriction would go into effect immediately. If the restriction includes a partial or complete trespass from campus, the student may be arrested for trespassing if they violate the trespass.
2. If the student wishes to appeal the restriction, they may submit a written request to review the decision with a Conduct Administrator in the Dean of Students Office within five (5) business days of the restriction. The Conduct Administrator considers any information provided by the student and evaluates the suspension based on
a) The possible threat posed by the student.
b) The reliability of the available information about the incident.
3. If the Conduct Administrator finds that the information about the incident is reliable and that the student does pose a possible threat, the interim restriction will remain in place.
4. If it is determined that the interim restriction is unwarranted, the restriction will be lifted or modified. However, even if the interim restriction is lifted, the charges are not dismissed; the University proceeds with the conduct process.
5. If the interim restriction is found to be warranted, the restriction will stay in place and the conduct process will continue according to the notice provided to the student.