M.A. in Cross-Cultural Studies
CXCS offers one Master's degree program:
- Cross-Cultural Studies (Minimum Requirements for Degree: 36 credits)
The cross-cultural studies M.A. degree program emphasizes indigenous knowledge systems. The program is designed to provide graduate students from various fields of interest an opportunity to pursue in-depth study of the role and contributions of indigenous knowledge in the contemporary world. Students are expected to demonstrate the ability to work effectively with indigenous people in their studies.
- Complete at least 6 credits in a field setting, including minimum of one week camp with elders.
- Complete at least 36 semester hours beyond the bachelor's degree level.
- Students may fransfer a maximum of 9 hours from another university into their program.
- Complete at least 30 of the 36 semester hours at the F600 level.
- Satisfactorily complete a comprehensive examination.
- Complete the general university requirements.
- Complete the master's degree requirements.
- Complete the following core courses:
- CCS F604 Documenting Indigenous Knowledge (3 credits)
- CCS F608 Indigenous Knowledge Systems (3 credits)
- CCS F612 Traditional Ecological Knowledge (3 credits)
- CCS/ED F690 Seminar in Cross-Cultural Studies (3 credits)
Cross-Cultural Studies Specialization Courses
Select at least one from the following:
- ANS/ED F461 Native Ways of Knowing (3 credits)
- CCS/ED F610 Education and Cultural Processes (3 credits)
- RD F425 Cultural Resource Issues (3 credits)
Select a minimum of 15 credits of approved electives to provide specialization depth:
Examples of approved electives:
- ANS F475 Alaska Native Social Change (3 credits)
- CCS F602 Cultural and Intellectual Property Rights (3 credits)
- CCS/ED F603 Field Study Research Methods (3 credits)
- CCS/ED F611 Culture, Cognition and Knowledge Acquisition (3 credits)
- CCS/ED F613 Alaska Standards for Culturally Responsive Schools (3 credits)
- CCS F698 Non-Thesis Research/Project (1-12 credits)
Tuition for attending UAF changes every year and are dependent on residency. To find current tuition rates and cost of attendance please visit http://www.uaf.edu/finaid/costs/