Key to abbreviations and honors
Academic degree abbreviations
- A.A. . . . . . . Associate of Arts
- A.A.S. . . . . . Associate of Applied Science
- A.S. . . . . . . Associate of Science
- B.A. . . . . . . Bachelor of Arts
- B.A.S. . . . . . Bachelor of Arts and Sciences
- B.B.A. . . . . . Bachelor of Business Administration
- B.E.M. . . . . . Bachelor of Emergency Management
- B.F.A. . . . . . Bachelor of Fine Arts
- B.M. . . . . . . Bachelor of Music
- B.S. . . . . . . Bachelor of Science
- B.T. . . . . . . Bachelor of Technology
- Cert. . . . . . . Certificate
- Gr. Cert. . . . Graduate Certificate
- M.A. . . . . . . Master of Arts
- M.A.T. . . . . . Master of Arts in Teaching
- M.B.A. . . . . . Master of Business Administration
- M.C.E. . . . . . Master of Civil Engineering
- M.Ed. . . . . . Master of Education
- M.E.E. . . . . . Master of Electrical Engineering
- M.F.A. . . . . . Master of Fine Arts
- M.Mu. . . . . . . Master of Music Performance
- M.N.R.M.G. . . Master of Natural Resources Management
- M.S. . . . . . . . Master of Science
- Ph.D. . . . . . . Doctor of Philosophy
Students in the College of Rural and Community Development have their home campuses indicated beside their names. For the most part, degree candidates outside the Fairbanks area will participate in graduation ceremonies at their home campuses.
* Denotes summer degree recipient
** Denotes December degree recipient
Red sashes signify Alaska Native and Native American graduates. Blue sashes signify Community and Technical College students. Red, white and blue honor cords pay tribute to active-duty service members and veterans of the United States Armed Forces. Tau Beta Pi engineering honor society graduates wear a white stole with an orange logo, or an orange and white cord. Student-athletes are wearing a blue sash with the Alaska Nanooks logo. International students may be wearing a sash recognizing their home country.
Confirmation of degrees and honors for the May 2016 degree candidates whose names are listed in this program will be made when final grades are received. Information presented in this program is accurate as of 9 a.m. April 29, 2016. Every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy of graduates’ names, degrees and other information. We sincerely regret any errors and omissions.
Graduation with Honors
Associate and baccalaureate degree students who graduated with honors in August and December and candidates for graduation in May wear a gold honor cord. Cumulative grade point averages required for graduating with honors are:
- summa cum laude …… 3.9 or higher with no grades lower
than an A-
- magna cum laude …… 3.75–3.8
- cum laude …… 3.5–3.74
The Honors Program graduation designation requires exceptional aptitude, academic performance and achievement in a challenging course of study. Honors students complete credits in specially designed courses and an honors capstone/senior thesis. Honors Thesis Scholars earned 12 honors credits and wear a long blue-trimmed and striped gold sash with a single blue and gold honor cord. University Honors Scholars earned 27 honors credits and wear the same sash with a double blue and gold honor cord.
Golden Key Honor Society
Golden Key is an international student-run service organization committed to meeting the needs of scholastic achievers. Members wear a gold medallion on a blue and gold ribbon, a gold satin sash with a blue logo, or a blue and gold honor cord.
Student Leadership Honors and Leadership Distinction
Student Leadership Honors recognition is granted to students who have made significant contributions to enhancing the mission of UAF, the surrounding community and the promotion of student life. Students receiving this recognition wear a burgundy honor cord. Graduation with Leadership Distinction recognition is granted to students who have displayed a commitment of excellence to themselves, UAF and their community. Students receiving this recognition wear a silver honor cord.
Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi
The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi promotes the pursuit of excellence and the recognition of outstanding achievement. Membership is limited to the top students of each graduating class. Members wear a blue ribbon and a medallion bearing the symbolic seal of the society.
Student Ambassador Recognition and Honors
Students involved in the Student Ambassador Program have demonstrated outstanding campus leadership and have supported the growth of the university through outreach and community service. Ambassadors with 50 or more service hours graduate with Student Ambassador Honors. Students receiving honors recognition wear a blue and gold honor cord.