The College of Natural Science and Mathematics offers a variety of science-based summer experiences for K-12 students.
- ASRA (the Alaska Summer Research Academy) has both a middle school and a high school academy during the summer. Both academies offer challenging, hands-on, and fun experiences with science.
- Girls on Ice is a summer mountaineering adventure for high school girls that combines science, art, and the wilderness experience.
- The Colors of Nature Academy for middle school girls will be offered from June 3-14, 2013. The academy will combine art and science and is aimed at girls with a strong interest in art. Applications will be accepted from March 1st-31st, 2013.
School Year Programs
The College also offers opportunities for students to become involved with science during the school year.
- ASHSSS is the Alaska Statewide High School Science Symposium. Students conduct original research and present their findings in a scientific setting.
- A new Science Café series featuring the overlap between art and science will be launched in the spring of 2013 through the Colors of Nature Project.
- The Science Potpourri is an annual event for all ages, featuring volcanic eruptions, physics demonsrations, robotics, and making slime, among others. This year, Potpourri will be held on April 13, 2013 from 12-3 PM.