We know that at times navigating your way through college can be tricky. That’s why we have a full-time academic advisor on hand to help you out. All students must complete advising before being able to register for classes each semester.
Undergraduate academic advising services in the College of Liberal Arts are provided by a combination of faculty and staff advisors. Students with freshmen and sophomore standing as well as students in pre-majors are advised by Kathy Nava, CLA’s Comprehensive Academic advisor. Students with junior and senior standing are advising by faculty advisors in the department of their major(s). advisors can assist with registration, petitions, change of major requests and answer any number of questions related to the college experience.
Advising appointments are available in person, via telephone or via email.
Since advisors are busy people helping hundreds of students each semester you should start by contacting them ahead of time and scheduling an appointment.
Come to your appointment prepared, if possible. Visit the UAF Registration Guide for important dates, forms and the upcoming semester’s class schedule.
Registering for Classes
All undergraduate degree seeking students at UAF are required to meet with an academic advisor before registering for courses. Your advisor will assist you with selecting your courses and answer any questions you may have. Come prepared to your advising appointment:
- Bring a copy of your registration form to your appointment. To print the form from UAOnline:
- log into UAOnline at https://uaonline.alaska.edu/
- select the "student services and account information" tab
- select "registration"
- select "check your registration eligibility"
- select the term you want to register for
- you will then see a screen with several check boxes, below the check boxes will be a hyperlink that says "print your UAF registration form here," select the link and print the form
- Consult your DegreeWorks audit to see what classes you need
- Consult the online course finder at www.uaf.edu/coursefinder or the class schedule in UAOnline and select possible courses
- Bring a list of any questions or concerns you have
At your advising appointment you will complete your registration form and your advisor will sign it. You will then need to log into UAOnline and complete the registration process before you are considered registered for courses.
How to Schedule an Advising Appointment with a Staff advisor
Kathy Nava is the staff advisor for the College of Liberal Arts.
Advising is by appointment only. The most convenient way to schedule an appointment is to use Google Calendar by following these steps:
- To schedule an appointment with Kathy Nava visit: http://bit.ly/RyQ2iK.
- Select an available time slot, please note that 30 minute time slots are recommended for continuing students and 60 minute time slots are recommended for new students. Please anticipate the length of your meeting and select the appropriate time slot.
- In the 'description' box type the following: your complete legal name, email address, phone number, student ID number (if known), major and reason for the appointment.
- If you need to cancel your appointment you can do so through Google Calendar, simply open the appointment on our calendar and select "cancel appointment." Please select the "delete and notify guests" option, this will send a email to the advisor notifying her that the appointment has been canceled.
If you are unable to make your appointment, PLEASE CANCEL IT. "No shows" are unprofessional and may prevent other students from having a chance to make an appointment.
If you are ill please reschedule your appointment or change your appointment to a phone appointment.
If you are new to UAF and do not have a Google account you may schedule your appointment by contacting an advisor directly:
- Kathy Nava, 305 Eielson Building, firstname.lastname@example.org, Ph: 907-474-6542, Fax: 907-474-7438
How to Schedule an Advising Appointment with a Faculty advisor
If you are a junior or senior and need to schedule an advising appointment please contact the department of your major for scheduling instructions. A complete list of departments can be found here.
- Preparing for your Advising Appointment:
- Create Class Schedule:
- Use CourseFinder: http://www.uaf.edu/coursefinder/index.xml
- Register for classes: http://www.uaf.edu/iac/quick_reg.pdf
- Registration Guide: http://www.uaf.edu/register/
- This site includes links to FAQs, How-To’s, and Forms
- Costs & Financial Aid: http://catalog.uaf.edu/costs-financial-aid/
- CLA Scholarships: http://www.uaf.edu/cla/cla-scholarships/
- Get Involved:
- Did you know that when you graduate from college, your earned degree will only take up a few lines on your professional resume? The rest of of your resume will contain the activities you engage in, both in and outside of the classroom. As a new freshman, while it’s important to focus on your classroom performance, it’s also important to consider how you will spend your time outside of class.
- Student involvement on and off campus builds your resume, strengthens your relationships with fellow students, faculty, and staff, and creates a more fulfilling college experience. There are many ways you can become involved in campus activities, and there is something to fit every student’s schedule! Try something new. Challenge Yourself. Become Engaged.
- Student Organizations: http://www.uaf.edu/studentorgs
- Undergraduate Research: http://uaf.edu/ursa/
- Volunteer: https://www.uaf.edu/woodcenter/leadership/volunteer/