Writing Tutoring & Help
The UAF Writing Center offers writing tutoring and help to writers throughout rural Alaska and all points beyond. Their tutors will collaborate with students at any phase of the writing process. Listed below is a sampling of the kinds of assistance we can provide:
- Tips for getting started—freewriting, outlining, developing tree diagrams, clusters, map
- Drafting issues—following assignment guidelines, developing ideas, organizing ideas, shaping arguments, writing introductions & conclusions
- Revision strategies—attending to such concerns as word choice, sentence structure, writing conventions; reworking or refining aspects of the draft
- Citation format—MLA (7th ed.), APA (6th ed.), Chicago (15th ed.), Other (CSE, AAA, ASA …)
- Any other writing help need
The telephone tutorial service is available four nights a week (MTWR 7:00 – 10:00) and Sunday afternoons (Su 1:00 – 6:00). For help, please follow the following process:
- Students can call 907/474-5314 to make an appointment.
- Send your paper via e-mail (email@example.com) or fax (1-800-478-5246) prior to the appointment (by 5:00 pm for an evening session and by 12:00 noon for a Sunday tutorial).
- The tutor will telephone the writer at the appointed time.
Contact UAF’s toll-free Math Hotline for problem solving and math help. Call 866-823-6284 during regular fall and spring semesters.
We also recommend the Khan Academy for learning math. In addition to your regular instructor, the Khan Academy is a free online set of video lessons highly acclaimed by math instructors nationwide. Please visit the website here: http://www.khanacademy.org/