Undergraduate Study in Chemistry and Biochemistry at UAF
Welcome to the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry! Our programs prepare students who are interested in becoming research chemists as well as future doctors, lab technicians, supervisors in industry, technical sales personnel, and chemistry teachers. We offer both a B.S. and a B.A. degree with possible concentrations below:
Major - B.S. Degree (American Chemistry Society Approved)
Optional Concentrations: Biochemistry, Environmental Chemistry
Major - B.A. Degree
Optional Concentration: Forensic Chemistry
Details of the degrees and programs in Chemistry and Biochemistry may be found in the UAF General Catalog. To assist students in sequencing of classes, we have prepared the Chemistry Student Handbook.
Our intended learning outcomes for undergraduate students are:
- Introductory courses provide basic chemical knowledge for students with other majors and attract the best students to chemistry and biochemistry majors.
- Graduates attain baccalaureate-level chemistry knowledge, in accordance with ACS guidelines for B.S. majors or as appropriate for broader the B.A. level.
- Graduates have problem solving, laboratory, and safety skills and have hands-on experience with modern chemical instrumentation.
- Communication/presentation skills are consistent with professional standards.
- Graduates are employed or continue education following graduation.
The Bachelor of Science (B.S.) degree prepares undergraduate students for careers in Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Chemistry-related occupations or for further study in graduate or professional schools. The Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree provides enhanced opportunity for students to complement their chemistry studies with studies in the arts, humanities, and social sciences.
The Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry undergraduate programs are approved by the American Chemical Society's Committee on Professional Training.
UAF Chemistry faculty members are committed to high quality instruction and have won many awards for teaching, research and service. Our undergraduate and graduate students have excellent opportunities for research and have excelled in undergraduate research and publications. See our homepage and news archive for recent highlights.
For more information, please contact our department:
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Fairbanks, AK 99775-6160
or email message: firstname.lastname@example.org
An Online Undergraduate Application is available at the admissions home page.
Scholarship opportunities specific to chemists and biochemists are listed on our scholarships page.