Kriya L. Dunlap
My research focus is developing health relevant research models that incorporate the nutritive properties of indigenous foods and the molecular basis by which they combat age and diet related diseases. Established projects involve developing sled dogs as a sentinel and model for assessing the impacts of nutrition, exercise, and environmental stressors on biomarkers in blood and hair.
I have recently expanded my research to include a cell model with relevance to human physiology. Currently I am investigating compounds in wild Alaska blueberries and their potential impact on pathways associated with insulin resistance; a national concern and a growing concern among Alaska Natives.
Alaskan natural resources and cultural background provide valuable and exciting research avenues, which continue to shape and direct my research interests.
- Dunlap KL, Reynolds AJ, Duffy LK , Gerlach SG, Loring PA, Cleroux M and Godin JP. (2011) Selected plasma fatty acid levels in subsistence fed sled dogs along the Yukon River: a pilot study for biomonitoring. Polar Record, Available on CJO 2011 doi:10.1017/S0032247411000350
- Gustafson SJ, Dunlap KL, McGill CM, Clausen TP, Kuhn TB. (2011) A nonpolar blueberry fraction blunts NADPH oxidase activation in neuronal cells exposed to Tumor Necrosis Factor α. Journal of Nutritional Biochem. In Review.
- Dunlap KL, Reynolds AJ, Refsal KR, Kerr WW, Duffy LK. (2008) Cross-latitudinal, seasonal and diurnal comparisons in thyroid hormone concentrations in sled dogs. Am J Animal & Vet Sci; 3(4): 96-103.
- Dunlap KL, Reynolds AJ, Bowers PM, Duffy LK. (2007) Hair analysis in sled dogs (Canis lupus familiaris) illustrates a linkage of mercury exposure along the Yukon River with human subsistence food systems. Sci Total Environ; 385(1-3): 80-5.
- B.S. 1998 Cornell University (Animal Science)
- M.S. 2003 University of Alaska Fairbanks (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology)
- Ph.D. 2007 University of Alaska Fairbanks (Nutrition)
Kriya L. Dunlap
Department of Chemistry & Biochemistry
University of Alaska Fairbanks
Fairbanks, AK 99775-6160