Welcome to the Rural Development Project
The UAF CES Rural Development Project develops and disseminates relevant and easily understood research and technology to rural Alaskans – primarily in the lower Yukon Kuskokwim rivers, the Copper River Valley and Southeast Alaska – to improve their quality of life. The Project maintains an open dialog with those stakeholders to identify and adjust to evolving needs.
Project faculty and staff collaborate with public agencies, professional researchers, consultants, community groups and, most of all, stakeholders. Programs and services include:
- Rural community development and economic analysis
- Forestry and natural resources
- Youth development
- Energy alternatives and environmental management
- Food self-sufficiency
The RDP has identified the following objectives to attain both the mission and the vision:
- Support research and outreach that responds to the needs of rural Alaska communities.
- Increase opportunities for community participation in hands-on learning.
- Use technology to deliver information and to enhance knowledge.
- Manage the process of community outreach.
- Foster strategic partnerships with public and private stakeholders.
- Collaborate with public and private employers in workforce preparation.
- Develop and maintain a highly qualified and motivated staff.