Thank you for visiting the Tanana District website!
The Tanana District is one of the largest Cooperative Extension districts geographically in the United States, covering an area of more than 120,000 square miles with a current population of approximately 100,000 distributed in 64 Native villages and the Fairbanks North Star Borough. Much of the district is inaccessible by road.
The Tanana District clientele is very diverse including 4-H leaders, youth groups, homeowners, homemaker clubs, private and commercial agriculture, local government, military personnel, subsistence families, cooperating agencies and the general public.
We have agents here to assist you in areas of agriculture and horticulture; health, home and family development; 4-H and youth development; and natural resources and community development. For more information, click on the program area of interest to visit its webpage.
Tanana District Highlights
- Sept. 16-Oct. 14 — MASTER FOOD PRESERVER CLASS SERIES concludes Wednesday, Oct. 14 6-9 p.m. in the Fairbanks Commumity Food Bank kitchen. Class will cost $15. To register, click here.
- October — CERTIFIED FOOD PROTECTION MANAGER will be rescheduled for mid-October from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. for the Fairbanks students whose Sept. 30 class was cancelled due to weather. Specific date to be determined; students will be notified. The next CFPM class will be December 3. Locations to be determined; registration will be up soon. Call 474-2420 or 474-5414 for more information.
- Oct. 12-17 — FALL EXTENSION WEEK is an information fest of FREE mini classes. To view and download the schedule, click here. To register online, click here. You also may call the office at 474-1530 to register for classes. We hope you can join us!
- Jan. 2016 — MASTER GARDENER CLASSES will begin in January. Dates and times are to be determined and announced soon. For general information about the Master Gardener program, click here. Click here to check for updates on the 2016 class.
- Feb. 23-25, 2016 — 12TH ANNUAL ALASKA SUSTAINABLE AGRICULTURE CONFERENCE is set to take place in Anchorage next year! Be sure to check the conference website for updates.
Office Location, Hours & Phone
LOCATION: 724 27th Ave., Stes. 2 & 3, Fairbanks, AK 99701
We are located within the Fairbanks Community Food Bank building and have a private entrance. To enter our office, please drive around to the back of the building (27th Avenue side) and look for our entrance on the corner of 27th Avenue and Rickert Street. Free parking is avaiable in our reserved lot just across the street.
- Driving Directions: The easiest way to find us is to drive south on South Cushman Street, then take a right on 27th Avenue. Drive two blocks to the intersection of 27th Avenue and Rickert Street. Look to your right for our building and parking lot.
HOURS: We are available to assist you Monday through Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Most days, we remain open over the lunch hour.
PHONE: Still have questions? Please call us at 907-474-1530 — we are happy to help!
Tanana District Listserv
Be one of the first to hear about classes, workshops and other events in the Tanana District! Join the listserv for announcements of general interest.
Class Registration Link
This link will take you to any district class available for credit card registration. Check our calendar at the link below for other district events.
Calendar of Events
Check out what's going on in Fairbanks and surrounding areas — classes, conferences, camps and more!
Tanana District Newsletters
Tanana Valley Master Gardener Update (MGU)