Funding and Fundraising

Funds raised on behalf of 4-H must be consistent with the mission, goals, and philosophy of the 4-H program, and must not restrict or limit further fund raising activities.

  • 4-H members and leaders may participate in fund raising in the name of 4-H with the approval of their district extension agent when the funds raised are to be used for legitimate 4-H activities.
  • District 4-H Extension agents must approve fund raising in the name of 4-H in their districts prior to the raising of funds.
  • Fund raising must not be used to endorse a particular business or product.
  • Funds are not to be raised in the name of a particular individual (4-H member or leader).
  • Fund raisers are for programs, activities, club groups, projects, etc. (Exceptions may be made by the district 4-H agent when a fund raiser is to help provide medical assistance for a needy person or similar service goal).
  • Scholarships may be given to a 4-H club or council for the use of named individuals to attend 4-H sanctioned events, etc. with the approval of the District 4-H Agent.
  • Funds and properties raised in the name of 4-H become the property of 4-H (4-H funds are not the property of the individuals who may have helped raise the funds).
  • Sales of equipment etc. through a 4-H club must be at cost or the profit from sales must go to 4-H.   Anything over the amount a 4-H leader pays for materials or equipment which is collected from 4-H members must go to 4-H.
  • When raising 4-H funds using 4-H members and adult volunteers there must be a definite objective or use for the funds which is understood by those raising the funds and explained to the public

Club funds should be carefully accounted for and used in the furtherance of the 4-H program. Accumulation of club funds beyond immediate program needs is restricted by federal tax regulations.

District 4-H Extension Agents shall oversee all district and 4-H club bank accounts and trust funds within their district when the designated 4-H Tax Exempt number has been used. A yearly report of accounts shall be submitted through the District 4-H Extension Agent to the State 4-H Program Leader.

The district agent, state 4-H office, or University of Alaska may require a report or audit of the financial records of a 4H club by giving two weeks written notice to the club.

4-H Leaders may not charge a fee for their services as a part of a 4-H club.

  • If they have a private business they must keep that activity separate from their 4-H activity.

4-H Clubs may charge an activity fee to cover the cost of equipment, materials and supplies, trips, or to pay an instructor.

  • If a fee is charged, it must be well understood by the youth and their parents what the money is being used for. Careful records must be maintained of all activity fees and a report (audit) provided to the district 4-H agent in October of each year.

When a club disbands the monies in the club treasury shall be returned to the district 4-H program, given to another 4-H club, or placed in the 4-H Fund of the University of Alaska Foundation. No restrictions shall be placed on the use of the funds being transferred.

When a club decides to split into two or more clubs the original club treasury shall be split between the new clubs in proportion to the number of youth transferring to each club.

A 4-H membership registration fee of $12 ($15 for horse and $13 for ATV) is currently being collected yearly at the district level with $5 of that fee going to the state office. This fee may be more in some districts or waived by the district 4-H Agent in individual cases for good cause.

Back to Top