Degrees: M.S., Ph.D.
Minimum Requirements for Degrees: M.S.: 30 credits, Ph.D.: open
Geophysics -- M.S. Degree
Concentrations: Solid-Earth Geophysics; Snow, Ice and Permafrost Geophysics
1. Complete the following admission requirements:
a. Complete a background at least to the level of a B.S. concentration in geology and geophysics.
b. Complete any deficiencies concurrently with this egree.
c. Acceptance into the snow, ice and permafrost geophysics concentration is open to students with strong physical science or engineering backgrounds.
2. Complete the general university requirements.
3. Complete the master's degree requirements.
4. Complete and pass a written comprehensive examination.
5. Complete the following:
a. Complete at least 15 credits at the 600-level (not thesis or research).
b. Complete and submit a written thesis for approval by the student's committee.
6. Complete 6 credits of the following geophysics core requirements:
1. Complete the general university requirements.
2. Complete the coursework requirements for the appropriate M.S. concentration.
3. Complete the Ph.D. degree requirements.
4. As part of the Ph.D. degree requirements, complete the following:
a. Complete and pass a written and oral comprehensive examination.
b. Complete and submit a written thesis proposal for approval.
5. Complete a research program as arranged with the graduate advisory committee.
6. Minimum credits required open
Send comments or questions to the UAF Admissions Office.
Last modified March 10, 1999