Logo. University of Alaska Fairbanks.

1998-99 UAF Catalog


Academic Regulations

Academic Progress

Instructors are responsible for making sure that you're aware of the grading policy for their course and that homework, exams, etc. are returned in a timely manner so that you know how you're doing in class.

Academic Standards

Graduate Scholastic Standing

Your UAF academic record will reflect the GPA for all courses taken after the bachelor's degree (or last degree at UAF). However, your scholastic standing in the graduate program is determined by the GPA of the courses identified on your Advancement to Candidacy (including repeats). If you haven't advanced to candidacy, your scholastic standing is determined by the GPA of all courses taken since the bachelor's or last degree.

Good Standing

To remain in good standing, you must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 in courses identified on your Advancement to Candidacy. Before advancing to candidacy, however, a cumulative GPA of 3.0 is required on all courses taken since admission to graduate study. You will be placed on probation if your GPA falls below 3.0 and will remain on probation until grades are brought up to 3.0.

Disqualification from Graduate Study

Upon the recommendation of either the dean or your college or school or your advisory committee (and with the concurrence of the dean), you may be disqualified from graduate study when your performance is deemed unsatisfactory.

Appeal Procedure

Students wanting to appeal an academic decision should begin an appeal immediately after the beginning of the next regular semester. Appeals should be made in writing. You can get advice and answers to questions about the process from the dean of the graduate school. During your appeal, you should be prepared to explain what you wish to appeal, why you are appealing it and how you attempted to resolve the issue so far. If possible, propose potential solutions and compromises. For full information about the grade appeal process, contact the dean of student services. Notification of a possible grade error must be received by the instructor and/or department head within 20 days from the first day of instruction of the next regular semester.

To appeal the denial of admission, contact the director of admissions, who will forward the appeal to the appropriate officials. To appeal academic actions such as academic warnings, academic probation and disqualification, you should address the person who made the decision. Often problems can be resolved and misunderstandings cleared up through this step. If the issue isn't resolved to your satisfaction, you should appeal to the department head, dean and provost, in that order. The decision of the provost is final.


You are expected to regularly attend classes; unexcused absences may result in a failing grade. You are responsible for conferring with your instructor concerning absences and the possibility of arranging to make up missed work.

If you choose to be absent from class to participate in university-sponsored or other activities, you may be permitted to make up any work you have missed, but you must make arrangements with your instructor before the absence. You and your instructor should make a good faith effort to assure that you are not unduly penalized for each absence. Such activities shouldn't be scheduled so that they conflict with the finals schedule.

Change of Grade Policy

A grade, other than an incomplete or deferred, submitted by your instructor after a course is completed is assumed to be your final grade and becomes part of your permanent academic record. Your grade won't be changed unless your instructor made a legitimate error in calculating the grade; a grade change must be approved by the instructor's unit head and dean. Grading errors must be corrected within 30 days after the beginning of the next regular semester.

Class Standing

Students are given the class standing of "graduate" only after being officially admitted to master's or doctoral programs.

Full or Part-time Status/Study Load

As a graduate student, if you're registered for nine or more semester credits, with three or more at the 600 level, you are classified as a full-time student. You may enroll in up to 18 credits per semester without special permission. To enroll in 19 credits or more, you need a 3.0 cumulative grade point average and an overload approval by your advisor and department head.

Credits carried at any UAF unit are considered in determining study load hours and full-time or part-time classification. Courses that are audited are not included in the study load computation.

Catalog Index | Class Schedule | Admissions | UAF Home | UAF Search | News and Events
Logo. Unversity of Alaska Fairbanks.

Send comments or questions to the UAF Admissions Office.
Last modified June 10, 1998