|Withdrawal Period||Refund Amount|
|Class days 1 - 5||75% of the semester housing charge|
|Class days 6 - 15||50% of the semester housing charge|
|Class days 16 - 30||25% of the semester housing charge|
|Beyond 30 days||No refund will be issued.|
Any refund of board charges will be calculated based upon the days remaining in the semester. A service charge of $75 will be subtracted from each refund of board changes, regardless of the date of withdrawal from the board plan. No refunds will be available after the 12th week of the semester.
Tuition and Fees
If you are withdrawing from courses or canceling enrollment, you must complete an official withdrawal form and turn it in at the Office of the Registrar. Full or partial refund of undergraduate, graduate, and the non-resident tuition and fees will be made under the following circumstances:
1. If the courses you registered for are canceled by UAF, your tuition and fees will be refunded in full. Students who paid the mandatory health insurance fee will continue coverage if they are enrolled in at least six credits and have not requested a Health Center and insurance refund at the time of credit hour reduction.
2. If you formally withdraw from a course, a refund will be made according to the following schedule as determined by the date of the formal withdrawal action.
Tuition Refund Petitions
Petitions for refund of university financial obligations may be granted when a student has been physically disabled, has experienced a death in the family, has a change in employment beyond the student's control, or has other extenuating circumstances. Written documentation of the condition is required (appeal forms may be obtained from the Business Office, Health Center, Financial Aid office, the Registrar's Office and the Dean of Students office). Petitions are reviewed only if documentation of circumstances is provided. Petitions are reviewed only after a student has officially withdrawn from the course(s). Refund petitions for students who fail to comply with published deadlines, or changes in employment within the student's control, will not be considered. Petitions must be filed by the last day of instruction of the term for which the petition is filed.
Competed petitions may be submitted to the Business Office, 1st floor Signers' Hall.
1. 100 percent refund of tuition and fees -- drop prior to or on the last day for late registration as indicated in the course schedule. ASUAF, parking and health center fees will be refunded only if you return your stickers when you withdraw. Students who paid the mandatory health insurance fee will continue coverage if they are enrolled in at least six credits and have not requested a Health Center and insurance refund at the time of credit hour reduction.
2. 50 percent refund of tuition only -- drop during one week after the last day of late registration as indicated in the course schedule.
3. Exchange of tuition -- withdraw and add on the same day through the fourth Friday of the semester. NOTE: If the exchange is uneven (i.e., lower level to upper level, 3 credits to 4 credits, etc.), the exchange will result in tuition owed, which is due the same day.
4. No refund or exchange of tuition -- withdraw after the fourth Friday of the semester.
Courses meeting four weeks or more but less than a semester:
1. 100 percent refund of tuition and fees -- drop within the first calendar week (Monday to Friday) of the first day of the class.
2. 50 percent refund of tuition -- drop within the second calendar week (Monday to Friday) of the first day of the class.
3. No refund or exchange of tuition after the end of the second calendar week (Monday to Friday) of the first day of the class.
Courses meeting less than four weeks
1. 100 percent refund of tuition and fees -- drop prior to the first day of class as indicated in the course schedule.
2. No refund or exchange of tuition after the first day of the class as indicated in the course schedule.
1. The date the drop/withdraw is processed by the Office of the Registrar determines eligibility for a refund.
2. Evening/weekend class(es) -- drop must be processed the next working day for the refund to apply.
3. If your registration is canceled as a result of disciplinary action, you forfeit all rights to a refund of any portion of your tuition and fees.
4. If your registration is canceled by a faculty-initiated drop/withdraw, your refund will be based on the date of the drop/withdraw and the policy described in A, B or C above.
5. If you paid fees by personal check, any refund to which you may be entitled will be processed 30 days after your check has been deposited. Proof that your check has cleared your bank will suspend the 30-day wait.
6. If you have a debt with the university, any credits resulting from your drop/withdraw will be applied to that debt.
7. Students who receive any type of external funding, including financial aid, may have their refunds applied to the external funding source. In the case of financial aid, the refund will be applied according to federal regulations.
8. Vocational/technical course fees are subject to this refund schedule.
9. Summer Sessions refund policy is separate and is found in the Summer Sessions catalog.
10. In case the operations of UAF are adversely affected by war, riot, natural act, action of civil authority, strike or other emergency or condition, the university reserves the right to take action to curtail part or all of its operations, including action to cancel classes and action to discontinue services. In any case in which a significant curtailment is judged proper by UAF, the university's liability is limited to (at most) a refund of tuition and fees paid.
Send comments or questions to the
UAF Admissions Office.
Last modified June 10, 1998