1997-98 UAF Catalog
Degrees and Programs
Course Description Index
College of Liberal Arts
Justice Program (907) 474-7609
Minimum Requirements for Degree: B.A.: 120 credits
It has been said that the quality of a nation's civilization can be largely measured by the methods it uses to enforce its criminal law.
We in the United States deal with our criminals through a complex maze of organizations commonly referred to as the criminal justice system. This system is composed of police, courts, corrections and a multitude of supportive professions which are more or less actively engaged in dealing with criminals within the guidelines of our federal and state constitutions.
Only through an active educational effort by criminal justice personnel and students planning to enter the profession can we hope to attain the high degree of professionalism so necessary to create and maintain a criminal justice system which will mirror our otherwise advanced civilization.
Undergraduate Degree Requirements
Justice -- B.A. Degree
- 1. Complete the general university requirements and general requirements for the B.A. degree.
- 2. Complete the following program (major) requirements:
- Justice Core Course Requirements (21 credits)
- JUST 110 -- Introduction to Justice (3 credits)
- JUST 222 -- Research Methods (3 credits)
- JUST 251 -- Criminology (3 credits)
- JUST 258 -- Juvenile Delinquency (3 credits)
- JUST 330 -- Justice and Society (3 credits)
- JUST 340 -- Rural Justice (3 credits)
- JUST 460 -- Political Philosophy of Crime Control (3 credits)
- Justice Electives: 15 credits in justice courses which may include any two of the following Human Service Technology courses:
- HST 125 -- Introduction to Addictive Processes (3 credits)
- HST 210 -- Crisis and Grief Counseling (3 credits)
- HST 215 -- Individual Interviewing and Assessment (3 credits)
- HST 301 -- Ethics in Human Service (3 credits)
- 3. Minimum credits required (120 credits)
MINOR in Justice:
- Complete 15 credits in justice, including JUST 110.
Justice -- A.A.S.
This degree program is presently suspended.
| UAF Home
| UAF Search
| News and Events
Send comments or questions to the
UAF Admissions Office.
Last modified June 9, 1997