1997-98 UAF Catalog
Degrees and Programs
Course Description Index
Minimum Requirements for Degree: 130 credits
An in-depth study of Japanese language and culture, aimed at the application of linguistic skills and cultural insights to specific career opportunities. Japanese is classified among the most difficult of foreign languages for American students. The highlight of the major is, therefore, one semester of intensive study in Japan during the junior or senior year. This interdisciplinary program will culminate in a senior seminar on contemporary Japan. Students will begin their research project for the seminar while studying at our exchange university, Nagoya Gakuin, or at another preapproved program. Students are encouraged to use this major in conjunction with a discipline-based major.
Undergraduate Degree Requirements
Japanese Studies -- B.A. Degree
- 1. Complete the general university requirements and B.A. degree requirements.
- 2. Complete the following program (major) requirements:
- Japanese Studies core courses (33 credits)
- GEOG 311 -- Geography of Asia (3 credits)
- HIST 121 -- East Asian Civilization
- or HIST 122 -- East Asian Civilization (3 credits)
- HIST 331 -- Modern Japan (3 credits)
- JPN 332 -- Japanese Cultural Traditions (3 credits)
- JPN 301* -- Advanced Japanese (3 credits)
- JPN 302* -- Advanced Japanese (3 credits)
- JPN 497 -- Advanced language study in Japan (12 credits)
- JPN 475 -- Seminar on Contemporary Japan (3 credits)
- *These courses are offered in the Japanese language. Students may study in Japan during their junior year, as long as they complete a minimum of 18 credits of Japanese language at the upper division level to fulfill the Japanese Studies core requirements. 15 credits of language may be taken in Japan, and at least three upper division language credits must be taken in residence at UAF.
- Concentration courses (12 credits)**
- International Business Concentration (with Business minor)
- Select twelve credits from the following:
- BA 343 -- Principles of Marketing
- or BA 390 -- Organizational Theory and Behavior 3*
- BA 461 -- International Finance (3 credits)
- BA 460 -- International Business (3 credits)
- ECON 463 -- International Economics (3 credits)
- GEOG 405 -- Political Geography (3 credits)
- PS 312 -- East Asian Governments and Politics (3 credits)
- PS 321 -- International Politics
- or PS 322 -- International Law and Organizations (3 credits)
- *whichever was not taken for the minor
- Language and Literature Concentration
- (Recommended with minor in linguistics or English.)
- LING 101 -- Nature of Language (3 credits)
- JPN 431 -- Studies in Japanese Culture
- or JPN 432 -- Studies of Literature in Japanese (3 credits)
- Take six credits from the following:
- ENGL 310 -- Literary Criticism (3 credits)
- JPN 331 -- Women's Voices in Japanese Literature (3 credits)
- LING 303 -- Language Acquisition (3 credits)
- LING 410 -- Theory and Methods of Second Language
- Teaching (3 credits)
- JPN 497 -- Individual Study and Practicum: Teaching
- Japanese as a Second Language (3 credits)
- Minimum credits required (130 credits)
Where appropriate 9 credits of course required in any concentration area may be counted toward the fulfillment of B.A. requirements listed in 1 above or the minor, but not both.
- **Other career options my be designed with consent of the Program Committee.
Students planning a double major for a single B.A. may double count a maximum of nine credits from the major requirements towards a second major. Students earning two degrees (BA/BBA) are not subject to double counting restrictions.
| UAF Home
| UAF Search
| News and Events
Send comments or questions to the
UAF Admissions Office.
Last modified June 9, 1997