1997-98 UAF Catalog
Degrees and Programs
Course Description Index
College of Science, Engineering and Mathematics
Department of Geology and Geophysics (907) 474-7565
Minimum Requirements for Degree: 130 credits
This program provides broad training in various aspects of earth science. It is especially applicable to those wishing to teach earth science or who are entering a field such as resource management where broad training in earth science is important. Basic coursework is required in three program areas: geography, geology and mineral engineering. Additional required coursework is arranged in consultation with the individual program heads. Students wishing to enroll in this degree program should contact the head of the Department of Geology and Geophysics.
Undergraduate Degree Requirements
Earth Science -- B.A. Degree
- 1. Complete the general university requirements and B.A. degree requirements.
- 2. Complete the following fundamental courses:
- A. Complete one year of college-level mathematics
- B. Complete CHEM 103X and 104X or PHYS 103X and 104X
- C. Complete one semester of computer science approved by major subject emphasis program head.
- (NOTE: A. and B. may be used to meet general degree requirements, but C. is in addition to the 6 credit mathematics core and B.A. degree requirements.)
- 3. For the major complex, complete 19 credits in the following courses (labs are optional but it is strongly recommended they be taken if offered): GEOG 205, 309 or 339, and 402; GEOS 101 or GE 261, and 112; MIN 101 and 103. In addition, complete an additional approved 10 credits at the 300 level or above with emphasis in either geography, geology and geophysics, or mineral engineering. Approval will be by the appropriate program head in the field of emphasis.
- 4. Complete an additional 12 credits of the following or approved alternative courses (can also be used to meet basic degree requirements and to apply toward minor requirements): NRM 101, 204, 310, 380, 430; BIOL 103 or 105-106, 271; GEOG 301, 482; GEOS 213, 214, 304, 401, 408, 422; MIN 202; PETE 103; GE 471. If these 12 credits are listed for the minor, they must be in a different field than the major.
- 5. Complete approved electives including minor requirements to bring total credits to 130.
| UAF Home
| UAF Search
| News and Events
Send comments or questions to the
UAF Admissions Office.
Last modified June 9, 1997