1997-98 UAF Catalog
Degrees and Programs
Course Description Index
College of Liberal Arts
Department of Communication (907) 474-6591
Minimum Requirements for Degree: 120 credits
Coursework in Communication prepares an individual to handle the challenges of communicating effectively and ethically in a rapidly changing world characterized by diversity in gender, cultural background, and belief. The major and minor programs in Communication provide the student with a comprehensive background in the discipline in preparation for employment or further education. Individuals majoring in a wide variety of other disciplines will also find Communication electives to be valuable additions to their programs.
Undergraduate Degree Requirements
Communication -- B.A. Degree
- 1. Complete the general university degree requirements and B.A. degree requirements, including one of the two Fundamentals of Oral Communication courses required in the Core Curriculum.
- 2. Complete the following requirements for the major:
- COMM 180 -- Introduction to Human Communication (3 credits)
- COMM 300X* -- Communicating Ethics (3 credits)
- COMM 330 -- Intercultural Communication (3 credits)
- COMM 351 -- Gender Communication (3 credits)
- COMM 401 -- Communication Research Methods (3 credits)
- COMM 425 -- Communication Theory (3 credits)
- COMM 482 - Seminar in Communication (3 credits)
- 3. Complete 9 additional credits, selected from courses
- listed below, 9.
- 300 Level**
- COMM 320 -- Communication and Language (3 credits)
- COMM 321 -- Nonverbal Communication (3 credits)
- COMM 322 -- Communication in Interpersonal
- Relationships (3 credits)
- COMM 331 -- Advanced Group Communication (3 credits)
- COMM 335 -- Organizational Communication (3 credits)
- COMM 352 -- Family Communication (3 credits)
- 400 Level**
- COMM 441 -- Persuasion (3 credits)
- COMM 462 -- Communication in Health Contexts (3 credits)
- COMM 475 -- Applied Communication in Training and
- Development (3 credits)
- Minimum credits required (120 credits)
- * If taken to meet the upper division of Baccalaureate CORE requirement for Ethics/Values & Choices in the Perspectives in the Human Condition, then the student must take an additional 300 or 400 level Communication course to complete the major (12 additional elective credits).
- ** With approval of advisor, an appropriate level special topics or independent studies course in Communication may be used to meet this requirement.
MINOR in Communication:
A minor in Communication requires the completion of 15 credits in Communication courses beyond the courses taken to satisfy the university oral communication requirement. These 15 credits must include COMM 180, 300X and COMM 330 or COMM 351, in addition to 6 elective Communication credits at the 300 level or higher (9 if COMM 300X is taken to satisfy the Baccalaureate CORE requirement). Courses designated at Social Science of Humanities that are taken for the minor may also be used to fulfill social science and/or humanities distribution requirements for the B.A. degree.
| UAF Home
| UAF Search
| News and Events
Send comments or questions to the
UAF Admissions Office.
Last modified June 9, 1997