1997-98 UAF Catalog

Fees and Financial Aid


Tuition is determined by the following:

  1. The number of credit hours enrolled,
  2. the level of the course, and
  3. the residency status of the student.
100-200 level courses $ 71/credit
300-400 level courses $ 79/credit
500-level courses
(500-level courses are self support)
600-level courses $ 158/credit

Nonresidents add $150/credit

Definition: Alaska Resident

Alaska residents, members of the United States military on active duty and their dependents, members of the Alaska National Guard and their dependents, as well as residents of the Yukon Territory and the Northwest Territories are exempt from a nonresident tuition fee. For purposes of nonresident tuition, a resident is any person who has been physically present for one year immediately preceding registration at UAF (excepting only vacations or other absence for periods not exceeding an aggregate of 90 days with intent to return) and who declares intention to remain in Alaska indefinitely. However, any person who, within one year, has declared himself/herself to be a resident of another state, voted in another state, or did any act inconsistent with Alaska residence shall be deemed a nonresident for purposes of nonresident tuition. An unemancipated person under the age of 18 who has a parent or guardian who qualifies as an Alaska resident as defined above shall be deemed a resident, and otherwise such unemancipated persons under the age of 18 shall be deemed a nonresident for purposes of nonresident tuition. Students having nonimmigrant visa status are ineligible for residency.

This definition of Alaska residency status is solely for the purposes of tuition payment at UAF. The requirements of the university may or may not be the same as requirements of other agencies of the state of Alaska.

Persons wishing to apply for resident status should complete an application for residency (the form may be obtained from the Office of Admissions or the Registrar's Office.) Applicants should attach a copy of documentary proof of residency in Alaska for the past 12 months. Records presented in support of residency application cannot be returned. Therefore, it is suggested that photocopies of such records be made to turn in with the application. The completed form and the proof of residency should be returned to the Office of Admissions prior to the date of registration.

Acceptable examples of proof of residency are rent receipts, copies of checks written to local merchants throughout the year, a statement from an Alaskan employer, current military I.D. or Alaskan high-school or college transcripts. Contact Admissions for more information.