UAF home page

More Answers to Questions about
Financial Aid

What Types of Aid are Available?

Grants, scholarships and fellowships

Grants are usually based on your financial need, while scholarship awards are based on academic achievement and promise as well as financial need. These types of aid do not have to be repaid. Most grants and scholarships are designed for undergraduate students.

The federal Pell Grant is a grant for undergraduates to help start paying college costs. Since this grant is based on financial need, every undergraduate should apply for it. Once you have applied, the federal processor will send you a Student Aid Report (SAR) indicating whether you qualify for a federal Pell Grant. Send the SAR to the Financial Aid Office. Federal Pell Grants range up to $2,340 for the 1996-97 school year.

The Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is a grant for exceptionally needy undergraduate students. FSEOGs at UAF could range from $400 to $1,000 each year.

State Educational Incentive Grants (SEIG) are funded by the state of Alaska for needy students enrolled full-time in undergraduate programs at postsecondary institutions in any state. Grants range from $100 to $1,500 each year. Application materials include filing the financial aid and SEIG applications available during the spring term.

The Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA) offers federal grants to undergraduate full-time students. You must be at least one-quarter American Indian or Alaskan Native to apply. These grants are based on financial need and supplement other financial aid. Grants range from $50 to $3,000 or more each year. The average grant at UAF is $1,600. Further information on BIA grants can be obtained from the BIA Regional Office, 1675 'C' Street, Anchorage, Alaska, 99501-5198, telephone (907) 271-4115.

Some regional and village corporations provide scholarships to shareholders. Contact your local corporation for details on eligibility and application procedures or call UAF Rural Student Services at (907) 474-7871.

The deadline for applying for UAF scholarships is March 1. Statewide scholarships for students enrolled at the University of Alaska in Anchorage, Juneau and Fairbanks are administered by the UA Foundation, P.O. Box 755080, Fairbanks, Alaska 99775, telephone (907) 474-7687. Scholarship amounts vary greatly depending on the funding source.

Chancellor's Scholarships and Talent Awards are available in limited numbers to first-time freshmen. You should apply by March 15 to the Office of Admissions, P.O. Box 757480, Fairbanks, Alaska 99775, telephone (907) 474-7500.

Army ROTC Scholarships are awarded to thousands of students annually on a competitive basis nationwide. The amount and length of the scholarships are based on the quality of the applicant. Scholarship awards range from $2,000 to $12,000 annually and may range from two to four years. In addition to tuition, each recipient receives $450 for books and supplies, and up to $1,500 in spending money, tax free.

For further information about the Army Scholarship program, eligibility requirements and the application process, contact the Department of Military Science at (907) 474-6852 or e-mail

Graduate fellowships are available through the University of Alaska Foundation, the Graduate School and private organizations. There are a limited number of these awards granted each year and the amount of the awards varies. For information, contact the UA Foundation (907) 474-7687 or the Graduate School, (907) 474-7464.

Graduate Assistantships

Research and teaching assistantships are awarded to qualified graduate students through each graduate program or department. For application information, contact the head of the department in which you are applying or enrolled.

Graduate teaching and research assistants generally receive stipends of up to $8,000 to $10,500 for the academic year, calculated at rates of $10.50-$14.00 per hour. This includes the four minimum pay ranges-for master's students, doctoral students without an earned master's, doctoral students before advancement to candidacy and doctoral students after advancement to candidacy. Graduate assistants can be paid for a maximum of 20 hours per week while school is in session in the fall, spring and summer semesters. Students with assistantships must be registered for a least 9 credits during the fall and spring semesters, and 6 credits during the summer.

A tuition supplement may be added to the assistantship under the following conditions:

Tuition supplements may be used for tuition fees only. All other fees are the responsibility of the student unless the department or grant makes other arrangements with the UAF Business Office PRIOR TO REGISTRATION.

Students who have a research or teaching assistantship during the summer semester may apply for a Summer Tuition Scholarship. Students must have been registered for 9 credits (3 of which must be at the graduate level) during the preceding Fall and Spring semesters and be registered for 6 credits of research or thesis during the summer to eligible for this scholarship. Please see the Graduate School for further information or an application.

A graduate student with a GPA less than 3.0 for one semester will be allowed to petition to continue as a graduate assistant for the next semester. A maximum one semester exception will be allowed per student. The petition by the student must be approved by the student's advisory committee chair, the department head, and dean.

The Office of the Graduate School hosts a brief orientation for new teaching assistants (TA's) during the week before fall classes begin, to introduce students to concepts of pedagogy. Seminars and workshops and several classes are offered throughout the year to continue discussions of teaching techniques, and further TA training is provided within individual department.


Campus jobs help many UAF students pay for college costs. Approximately 1,000 students-one-fifth of the student body-are employed in campus jobs. You must be a full-time student (enrolled in at least 12 credit hours for undergraduates and nine credit hours for graduate students).

Student employees can work up to 20 hours each week while classes are in session and up to 40 hours when classes are not in session. Pay rates are based on the job classification and the average pay can vary from $150 to $400 each month. Since there is no 'pool' for workers, students apply directly to the departments with position vacancies. Job announcements and more information can be obtained from Career Services, fifth floor Gruening Building, (907) 474-7596, or from Personnel Services, Administrative Services Center, (907) 474-7700.

Federal Work Study (FWS) is a federal program which provides jobs for graduate and undergraduate students with financial need. Job placement and working conditions are similar to regular student employment. To qualify for FWS, students must be eligible for federal financial aid as determined by the Financial Aid Office.


A loan for college costs is money that must be repaid. Loans represent a major source of assistance you should consider as you try to meet the full costs of your education. Educational loans generally have long-term repayment schedules, offer low interest rates, and often have provisions for deferring payments. Some loans are based on residency in Alaska while other loans are based on financial need. Before you borrow money for college, you should understand the specific conditions and requirements regarding disbursements, deferments and repayment options. If you fail to meet the conditions of the promissory note, you may be denied all federal aid, lose your good credit rating and be unable to borrow money to buy a car or home.

The Alaska Student Loan Program (ASL) is administered by the state of Alaska to provide student loans to eligible Alaska residents. Eligibility is based on residency and physical presence in the state of Alaska for at least one year before applying. This program is the major source of financial aid for students at UAF. Students attending part time (6 to 11 credits each semester) may borrow for the cost of tuition fees, books and supplies up to $2,000 as an undergraduate and up to $2,500 as a graduate student. Full-time students enrolled in 12 or more credits each semester may borrow for food and housing costs as well as tuition, fees, books and supplies up to $5,500 as an undergraduate and up to $6,500 as a graduate student. The Alaska Student Loan, combined with estimated income for the school year, cannot exceed estimated cost of education as determined by the Alaska Student Loan Office. Repayment begins no later than six months after the borrower ceases full-time study. The finance charge is 9 percent interest a year on the outstanding balance. The state of Alaska will pay the interest for students during the qualifying period.

The priority deadline for receipt of applications is May 15 for the school year beginning in the fall. Applicants must apply each year. Applications are available throughout the state at high schools and postsecondary schools. Further information about the Alaska Student Loan Program can be obtained from the Division of Student Financial Aid, Alaska Commission on Postsecondary Education, Box 110505, Juneau, Alaska 99811, telephone (800) 441-2962.

The federal Stafford Student Loan Program provides two types of loans from a lender, such as a bank or credit union: subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford Loans. You may qualify for a subsidized Stafford Loan if you have financial need. Subsidized means the government makes interest payments on your loan while you are in school, in your grace period, or in deferment. Unsubsidized means that you are always responsible for interest payments, even while you are in school. Yearly limits for dependent students are $2,625 for first year students, $3,500 for second year students and $5,500 for upper level undergraduates. Independent students may borrow, including the subsidized federal Stafford, up to $6,625 as a first year student, $7,500 as a second year student and $10,500 as a third or fourth year students. Graduate students may borrow $18,500, of which $8,500 can be a subsidized Stafford Loan. The interest rate varies annually and is capped at 8.25 percent.

The following table outlines what your monthly payments would be over a 10-year repayment period.

$ 5,000 $ 61 $ 2,359$ 7,359
10,000 1234,718 14,718
15,000 184 7,098 23,078
20,000 233 8,965 28,965
25,000 307 11,796 36,796

Many national lenders participate in the program. Inquire at your hometown bank or pick up an application from a representative group of lenders at the Financial Aid Office.

The federal Parent Loan for Undergraduate Students (PLUS) is a program for parents of dependent students. The cost of attending UAF determines the annual and aggregate loan limits. A variable interest rate or finance charge, not to exceed 9 percent, is determined each year for the federal PLUS programs.

The Family Education Loan Program is a state loan program which allows the student's family to share the cost of the student's education. As an alternative to the ASL, the family member can borrow up to $5,500 for an undergraduate and up to $6,500 for a graduate. The interest rate is 5 percent. The student must be claimed as an exemption on the parents' federal tax return.

Emergency Loans are administered by UAF for enrolled students who have unexpected financial demands. These short-term loans allow students to borrow up to $500. Information about these loans can be obtained at the Financial Aid Office.

To apply for an emergency loan, you must be in good academic standing and have no outstanding debt with UAF. You are required to verify your need for the loan. Applications will be accepted from the first day of registration until Nov. 1 for the fall semester and until April 1 for the spring semester. A service charge of $10 will be charged for each loan.

Financial Aid page
Main UAF Catalog page
University of Alaska Fairbanks home page

Send comments to

Last revised 11/12/96