Minimum Requirements for Degree: 120 credits
Language is the embodiment of culture and an expression of a people's way of thinking, feeling and viewing the world. We have an increasing need to communicate directly with other peoples to achieve mutual understanding. To learn a new language opens new avenues of thought, new modes of expression and new models of understanding. The study of foreign languages and literatures liberates the student from the confines of one culture.
Foreign language majors are encouraged to spend one or both semesters of their junior year in an exchange program appropriate to their language focus.
Concentrations: Two Languages, Single Language (French, German, Spanish)
- Complete the general university requirements.
- Complete the B.A. degree requirements.
- Complete one of the two following concentrations:*
- Complete a minimum of 18 credits at the F200-level or above in the first language: French, German, Japanese, Russian or Spanish. These must include two F400-level courses in the target language taken in residence at UAF.
- Complete a minimum of 15 credits at the F200-level or above in the second language: French, German, Japanese, Russian or Spanish.
French, German or Spanish
- Complete a minimum of 30 credits in the target language at the F200-level or above. These may include target language courses and/or courses taken in the target language on an approved study abroad program and up to 6 credits of advisor-approved electives from Education or Linguistics, but must include two F400-level courses in the target language taken in residence at UAF.
Japanese: see requirements under Japanese Studies major
Russian: see requirements under Russian Studies major
- Minimum credits required--120 credits
* Students must earn a C grade (2.0) or better in each course.
Note: In addition to a first and second language, students should complete a well-defined minor related to their career goals. When choosing a minor it is highly recommended that students see an advisor as early as possible.
Note: Recommended background courses: LING F101 and LING F216.
Note: F100-level language courses (which are preparatory to, but not part of the foreign language degree) may be counted toward fulfillment of requirements specified under Perspectives on the Human Condition and/or Humanities. Each language counts as a separate discipline.
- Complete the following:
Foreign language credits at the F100-level or above--3 credits
Foreign language credits at the F200-level or above--12 credits
- Minimum credits required--15 credits