College of Liberal Arts
Department of Art
Minimum Requirements for Degree: 60 credits
The M.F.A. degree provides artists with the necessary background to compete for state, national and international positions. Career opportunities include placement in state and federal arts organizations, galleries, museums, colleges and universities. This degree includes exposure to contemporary art world issues, the historic role of the artist and northern art. The M.F.A. degree in visual art is a terminal degree. Study is two-thirds in studio art. The degree culminates in a solo gallery exhibition.
Concentrations: Ceramics, Computer Art, Drawing, Native Arts, Painting, Photography, Printmaking, Sculpture
- Complete the following admission requirements:
- Submit a separate portfolio of work (about 20 slides or the appropriate equivalent depending on field of study).
- Complete a B.F.A. degree from a university other than UAF, or complete one consecutive year of classes from an accredited M.F.A. program other than UAF. In cases where an exceptional portfolio is submitted, students with a B.A. in art, or other undergraduate degree, will be accepted provisionally and with the condition that they make up any deficiencies as determined by their graduate committee. The same requirements are observed with the determination of previous schooling from a university other than UAF.
- Complete the master's degree requirements.
- Complete the following:
ART F661--Mentored Teaching in Art--1 credit
ART F663--Seminar in Art History--3 credits
ART F690--Current Problems--3 credits
ART F698--MFA Project* (5)
or ART F699--MFA Thesis* (5)--5 credtis
Electives in art history, humanities or philosophy**--6 credits
- Complete at least two studio areas at the F600-level***--39 credits
- Minimum credits required--60 credits
* Studio with 2 hour oral comprehensive examination
** The F400-level classes in these areas can be taken with additional requirements. Courses may be chosen from the following: ART F624, F625, F663 and F673.
*** Courses may be chosen from the following: ART F601, F607, F611, F613, F619, F672, F684, JRN F605.
Note: Graduate students are required to be enrolled in a mentored teaching section while teaching.