Justice, Administration of
College of Liberal Arts
Minimum Requirements for Degree: 30 credits
The justice discipline represents a melding of theoretical and applied concepts, and the M.A. degree in administration of justice reflects that dichotomy. Consequently, students explore theoretical models associated with different aspects of the criminal justice system, but also study the structure and administration of the criminal justice system.
The M.A. degree in administration of justice has been designed as a web-based degree program in order to accommodate the needs of justice professionals for whom taking a two-year leave of absence from their profession is not feasible, or for whom relocating to the Fairbanks vicinity is not possible. The M.A. degree program has attracted justice professionals from throughout the country who have found the flexibility of a web-based format useful.
- Complete the general university requirements.
- Complete the master's degree requirements.
- Complete a minimum of 18 graduate UAF credits.
- Receive a passing grade on a written comprehensive exam administered on the UAF campus in conjunction with attendance in JUST F690.
- Receive a passing grade on an oral defense examination of a thesis or project.
- Complete a thesis or project.
- Complete the following:
JUST F605--Administration and Management of Criminal Justice Organizations--3 credits
JUST F615--Justice Program Planning/Evaluation and Grant Writing--3 credits
JUST F620--Personnel Management in Criminal Justice--3 credits
JUST F625--Legal Aspects of Criminal Justice Management--3 credits
JUST F640--Community/Restorative Justice--3 credits
JUST F690--Seminar in Critical Issues and Criminal Justice Policy--3 credits
JUST F698/F699--Master's Project or Thesis--6 credits
- Complete 6 credits from the following:
JUST F610--Ethics in Criminal Justice Management--3 credits
JUST F630--Media and Community Relations for Criminal Justice Administrators--3 credits
JUST F650--Analysis Techniques for the Criminal Justice Administrator--3 credits
JUST F670--Seminar in the Administration of Juvenile Justice--3 credits
- Minimum credits required--30 credits