This is an addendum to the 2008-2009 UAF General Catalog.
A new degree program in Dental Hygiene was approved by the UA Board of Regents in February 2008. This page includes the specifics of this new program.
College of Rural and Community Development
Tanana Valley Campus 907-455-2800
Minimum Requirements for A.A.S. Degree: 69 credits
The registered dental hygienist is a licensed oral health educator and clinical operator who uses preventive, educational and therapeutic methods to help individuals and groups attain and maintain optimum oral health. The dental hygiene A.A.S degree is a three-year program with one year of prerequisite science and general education courses and two years of course work in dental hygiene. The program prepares graduates clinically and academically to take the National and Western Regional Examining Boards for licensure. Once enrolled as a dental hygiene student, the student can anticipate a four-semester, 40-hour-per-week intensive program. Some evening classes and clinics are scheduled.
The dental hygiene program has received initial accreditation from the Commission on Dental Accreditation of the American Dental Association.
Admission to the dental hygiene program is competitive. Six students per year are accepted, based on the following criteria:
- Complete UAF application.
- Complete dental hygiene program application.
- Proof of immunity to rubella, rubeola, varicella, hepatitis A, hepatitis B, tetanus, diphtheria and pertussis.
- Evidence of freedom from tuberculosis by PPD or chest X-ray within the previous six months.
- Current CPR certification for health care providers.
- Complete the required prerequisite with a C* (2.0) or better in each course, and an overall GPA of at least 2.5. GPA is considered in the admission criteria.
- Scores on the Health Occupational Basic Entrance Test (HOBET).
- Personal interview for top tier candidates.
- Complete prerequisite courses**:
BIOL F111X--Human Anatomy and Physiology I--4 credits
BIOL F112X--Human Anatomy and Physiology II--4 credits
BIOL F240--Beginnings in Microbiology--4 credits
CHEM F103X--Basic General Chemistry--4 credits
CHEM F104X--Beginnings in Biochemistry: A Survey of Organic
Chemistry and Biochemistry--4 credits
HLTH F203--Science of Nutrition--3 credits
PSY F101--Introduction to Psychology--3 credits
Additional information and a complete application packet are available at 907-455-2834 or 907-455-2805, email@example.com, or www.tvc.uaf.edu/programs/health/dh. It is strongly recommended that interested students work with the dental hygiene advisor while preparing to apply to the program.
- Complete the general university requirements.
- Complete the A.A.S. degree requirements (As part of the degree requirements, complete SOC--F100X for the human relations requirement.)
- Complete the following program (major) requirements:*
HLTH F150--Dental Radiography and Lab--4 credits
DH F111--Dental Anatomy Embryology and Histology--2 credits
DH F112--Techniques for Dental Hygienists--7 credits
DH F114--Anatomy of the Orofacial Structures--2 credits
DH F121--Periodontics I--2 credits
DH F122--Techniques II for Dental Hygienists--4 credits
DH F165--Introduction to Dental Pharmacology--2 credits
DH F181--Clinical Practicum I--4 credits
DH F182--Clinical Seminar I--1 credit
DH F211--Periodontics II--2 credits
DH F212--Techniques III for Dental Hygienists--3 credits
DH F214--Pathology for Oral Tissues--2 credits
DH F224--Principles of Dental Health--3 credits
DH F283--Clinical Practicum II--5 credits
DH F284--Clinical Seminar II--1 credit
DH F285--Clinical Practicum III--6 credits
DH F286--Clinical Seminar III--1 credit
DH F310--Oral Pain Control--3 credits
- Minimum credits required - 69