College of Natural Science and Mathematics
Department of Computer Science
Minimum Requirements for Degree: 30 credits
Downloadable PDF (49K)
Software engineering is defined as "the application of a systematic, disciplined, quantifiable approach to the development, operation and maintenance of software" (IEEE Standard Glossary of Software Engineering Terminology).
Graduates of the UAF M.S.E. program will be prepared to develop high-quality software products which meet required deadlines within budget constraints, understand complex software-intensive systems and to participate in their development and application while adopting different process roles. Those roles include software architecture, design, construction, test and project management.
The UAF software engineering program is based on recommendations from Carnegie Mellon University's Software Engineering Institute and standardization efforts such as the international SWEBOK (Software Engineering Body of Knowledge). Local, national and international employment opportunities for software engineers continue to be numerous.
- Complete the UAF admission process including the following:
- Submit GRE general scores.
- Complete at least a bachelor's degree at an accredited institution with a GPA of at least 3.0. Complete course work or possess practical knowledge at the advanced undergraduate level in each of the following areas: computer organization, discrete mathematics, algorithms and data structures, object-oriented programming (e.g., C++, FORTRAN95, or Java), and an in-depth knowledge of at least two of the following topics; compiler techniques, comparative programming languages, operating systems or database systems.
- Have at least two years of relevant software development experience or equivalent.
- Complete the general university requirements.
- Complete the master's degree requirements.
- Complete the following:
CS 602--Software Project Management--3 credits
SWE 671--Advanced Software Engineering--3 credits
SWE 673--Software Requirements Engineering--3 credits
SWE 674--Software Architecture--3 credits
SWE 690--Graduate Seminar and Project--3 credits
SWE 691--Graduate Seminar and Project--3 credits
Approved electives--12 credits
- Minimum credits required--30
Note: Each student must take and pass a comprehensive examination covering material from all of the required courses listed in item four above. CS 670/SWE 670--Computer Science for Software Engineers is required as a deficiency course for students without B.S. in computer science.
See Computer Science.