College of Natural Science and Mathematics
Department of Computer Science
Minimum Requirements for Degree: 30 credits
Downloadable PDF (46K)
Computer science is the study of information handling and its application to the problems of the world. Computing is widely used in support of activities in science, engineering, business, law, medicine, education and the social sciences.
The potential for employment is one of the highest in the entire range of subjects spanned by the College of Natural Science and Mathematics.
The M.S. degree follows the recommendations of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and the Institute for Electrical and Electronic Engineers (IEEE). The program provides breadth and depth in course work and culminates with a major unifying project. This program is available to students who have completed a B.S. degree in computer science at most institutions. Students from other universities who have completed a substantial portion of a bachelor's level computer science program may be admitted to the M.S. program. In such cases, undergraduate courses may be required to remedy deficiencies.
For admission to the M.S. computer science program, the GRE general and computer science subject exam is required.
- Complete the UAF admission process including the following:
- Submit GRE general and computer science subject exam scores.
- For teaching assistantship consideration, foreign applicants whose native language is not English must submit a TOEFL score of at least 600.
- The department gives preference to applicants who also submit results of the Test of Spoken English (TSE).
- Complete the general university requirements.
- Complete the master's degree requirements.
- Complete the following:
CS 611--Complexity of Algorithms--3 credits
CS 631--Programming Language Implementation--3 credits
CS 641--Advanced Systems Architecture--3 credits
CS 671--Advanced Software Engineering--3 credits
CS 690--Graduate Seminar and Project--3 credits
CS 691--Graduate Seminar and Project--3 credits
Approved electives--12 credits
- Minimum credits required--30