College of Natural Science and Mathematics
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering
Minimum Requirements for Degree: 30 credits
Downloadable PDF (53K)
The science management curriculum is designed for graduate scientists who will hold executive or managerial positions in engineering, construction, industrial or governmental organizations. It includes human relations, financial, economic, quantitative, technical and legal subjects useful in solving management problems.
Graduate Program--M.S. Degree
- Complete the following admission requirements:
- Complete a bachelor's degree in a scientific field.
- On-the-job professional experience is recommended.
- Complete the general
- Complete the master's degree requirements.
- Present project reports which provide comprehensive analysis and propose solutions to a situation in an engineering or scientific management setting. Pass an oral comprehensive examination.
- Complete courses from the four main engineering management subject areas as follows:
- Human Element (2 courses required)
ESM 601--Managing and Leading Engineering Organizations 3 credits
BA 607--Human Resources Management 3 credits
- Project Management (2 courses required)
ESM 609--Project Management (3)
ESM 608--Legal Principles for Engineering Management (3)
CE 620--Civil Engineering Construction (3) 6 credits
- Quantitative Methods (1 course required)
ESM 622--Engineering Decisions (3)
or ESM 620--Statistics for ESM (3)
or ESM 621--Operations Research (3) 3 credits
- Financial (2 courses required)
ACCT 602--Accounting for Managers 3 credits
ESM 605--Engineering Economic Analysis* 3 credits
- Complete the following:
ESM 684--Engineering/Science Management Project 3 credits
- Minimum credits required 30
Note: Balance of credits may be managerial or technical electives as approved by the student's graduate advisory committee.
* May be waived with prior undergraduate engineering economics course.
See Arctic Engineering.
See Civil Engineering for Ph.D. program.
See Engineering for Ph.D. program.
See Engineering Management.
See Environmental Engineering and Environmental Quality Science.