Rural Human Services
College of Rural Alaska
Statewide Programs (907) 474-5440
Chukchi Campus (907) 442-3400
Interior-Aleutians Campus (907) 474-5440
Kuskokwim Campus (907) 543-4500
Northwest Campus (907) 443-5602
Minimum Requirements for Certificate: 32 Credits
Downloadable PDF (54K)
This one-year program is designed to develop strong and healthy rural Alaska Native individuals, families and communities. It provides entry-level training for students preparing for careers as natural helpers/healers in village-based public, private and volunteer human service organizations.
The curriculum draws extensively on resource people from the Native community. It reflects a strong multicultural orientation that validates, incorporates and builds on Native values and principles. Courses are given through a series of four intensive three-week training sessions at selected delivery sites. A practicum and electives round out the program.
Admission is open to anyone employed by a regional Native health corporation or local entity providing village-based human services, or to individuals recognized by their communities as natural helpers/healers. A high school diploma or GED and/or previous training or work experience in the delivery of village-based human services are recommended but not required.
This degree program is delivered collaboratively within the UA system.
- Complete the general university requirements.
- Complete the certificate requirements. (As part of the certificate requirements, complete RHS 110 and 115 for the human relations requirement. The communication and computation courses must be completed from the certificate requirements.)
- Complete the following courses:
RHS 120--Family Systems I* 2 credits
RHS 130--Processes of Community Change 2 credits
RHS 140--Alaska Native Values and Principles 1 credit
RHS 150--Introduction to Rural Counseling* 2 credits
RHS 220--Family Systems II* 2 credits
RHS 250--Rural Counseling II* 2 credits
RHS 260--Addictions: Intervention and Treatment* 2 credits
RHS 265--Interpersonal Violence* 2 credits
RHS 275--Introduction to Mental Health Recovery 2 credits
RHS 285--Case Management* 2 credits
RHS 287--Rural Human Services Practicum 4 credits
RHS 290--Grief and Healing* 2
- Minimum credits required 32
* The Alcohol and Drug Abuse Certification review board has approved these courses toward certification or recertification of Substance Abuse Counselors in the state of Alaska.
Note: Students spend the time in intensive study at selected delivery sites.