College of Science, Engineering and Mathematics
Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry
Minimum Requirements for Degree: 30 credits
The science management curriculum is designed for graduate scientists
who will hold executive or managerial positions in engineering, construction,
industrial or governmental organizations. It includes human relations,
financial, economic, quantitative, technical and legal subjects useful
in solving management problems.
- Complete the following admission requirements:
- Complete a bachelor’s degree in a scientific
- On-the-job professional experience is recommended.
- Complete the general
- Complete the master’s
- Present project reports which provide comprehensive
analysis and propose solutions to a situation in
an engineering or scientific management setting.
Pass an oral comprehensive examination.
- Complete courses from the four main engieneering management subject
areas as follows:
- Human Element (2 courses required)
ESM 601Engineers in Organizations 3 credits
BA 607Human Resources Management 3 credits
- Project Management (2 courses required)
ESM 609Project Management (3)
ESM 608Legal Principles for Engineering Management (3)
CE 620Civil Engineering Construction (3) 6 credits
- Quantitative Methods (1 course required)
ESM 622Engineering Decisions (3)
or ESM 620Statistics for ESM (3)
or ESM 621Operations Research (3) 3 credits
- Financial (2 courses required)
ACCT 602Accounting for Managers 3 credits
ESM 605Engineering Economic Analysis* 3 credits
- Complete the following:
ESM 684Engineering/Science Management Project 3 credits
- Minimum credits required 30
Note: Balance of credits may be managerial or technical electives as
approved by the student’s graduate advisory committee.
* May be waived with prior undergraduate engineering economics course.